• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My Deutz Display Diorama

Started by shropshire lad, August 29, 2009, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Nick,

you don't need to hide  :D :D
  Thanks for the references, some very good stuff and alternatives to Silflor.
  I saw some of your stuff on an aussie site, recognised the deutz and your name.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on September 01, 2009, 12:39:53 PM
  Nick,

you don't need to hide  :D :D
  Thanks for the references, some very good stuff and alternatives to Silflor.
  I saw some of your stuff on an aussie site, recognised the deutz and your name.

Jacq 

Jacq ,

I wasn't hiding . I was just keeping a low profile .

I recieved a shipment from Reality In Scale today and it included a number of Green Line 's grass and moss tufts . I think they are superior to those by Silflor/Mininatur as there is more variation in colour and height . I look forward to using them .
  I also bought some of their enamel advertising signs and German street names . These are also very realistic as they actually have a glossy finish , just like enamel . All they need is "The Chuck Doan " treatment and they will look just right .
   You will also notice that Reality In Scale are a Dutch company so you shouldn't have any problems getting stuff from them should you want to .

Do you remember the Aussie website you are talking about ? I would be interested to see what they are saying . Even if it is bad .

Nick

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the additional info Nick. I would give it a go, but I think my next RR project will need desert scenery.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

james_coldicott

Hey Nick,

looking nice! Hopefully will get to see your work in person one day. Can I ask what your plans are for expansion/ further work- I know you have some turnouts on the way...

Cheers

James

jacq01

Nick,

here the link, nothing said about you, only your own words.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_nick_ogden__uk.html

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on September 03, 2009, 07:56:57 AM

Nick,

here the link, nothing said about you, only your own words.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_nick_ogden__uk.html

Jacq

Thanks , Jacq , for that . I did know about my little bit on Mario's site . The diorama pictured was last year's effort  and was inspired by Marcel Ackle's work . I had forgotten it was there .

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: james_coldicott on September 03, 2009, 05:18:14 AM
Hey Nick,

looking nice! Hopefully will get to see your work in person one day. Can I ask what your plans are for expansion/ further work- I know you have some turnouts on the way...

Cheers

James

Hi James ,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you can still get a chance to stop by here in amongst all your other duties . I'm sure you'll see it one day somewhere .

You can ask , but I'm not sure I'm going to tell you !  Only joking .

The turnouts will arrive when they arrive , I am not expecting them at any set time . Having said that , they are probably one of the first things I'm going to need if I actually go ahead with what I'm planning .

This particular diorama will probably not be part of anything else as I don't think it'll fit in with what comes next .

Last week I received a bag of 1/32nd bricks from Germany and have started on my next building . It is just a shed , but I suspect it'll use up most of the 1000 bricks that I bought . I'm building it in Flemish bond just to make life really difficult for myself . I might even post the odd photo if there is any interest . I don't suppose there is , but you never know .

Regards to the rest of the family and give a grovelling bow to your Dad from me when you see him . That should embarrass him .

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 01, 2009, 01:13:13 PM
Thanks for the additional info Nick. I would give it a go, but I think my next RR project will need desert scenery.

Maybe a moonscape would suit you better as there is no vegetation there whatsoever .

Nick

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Nick,

Wow...so there is a man behind the curtain....you do actually model as well as you critique ;) ;D ;D ;D

Beautifully done. I really like this little scene. I honestly wish I could do something like this....for some reason the creativity to create this kind of character and mood in a small scene just seems to escape me.

I really hope that you will continue to post your work (new and old) more frequently, as I find it very inspiring and enjoyable to look at.

marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

james_coldicott

Nick,

look forward to catching up with you and your work sometime. We've discussed our mutual dread of making up trackwork so will look forward to the layout when it arrives  ;). Have finally knuckled down and produced some turnouts for my 18 inch gauge layout... pic attached. Do you plan to get to Bilton Narrow Gauge meet?

Cheers

James

RoughboyModelworks

That's a good looking turnout James, very crisp. You say it's 18 inch gauge... what scale is it?

Paul

james_coldicott

Paul,

current model is 7mm:1foot (1/43) HOn3 standards (10.5mm gauge being dead scale and flangeways correct too).It is loosely based on the old Brede Valley Tramway that transported coal from a small wharf to a pumping station here in the UK. Not many pics on the net but one or two here:

http://78n18.laurells.net/prototypes/uk/brede.html

Rail is code 75 which is the nearest I could get to 35lb.

A good resource for scale trackwork in 2 foot gauge can be found in an article by John Clutterbuck for Roy Links magazine which includes a chart containing pretty much every rail profile available compared to prototype dimensions for 7mm scale, 2 foot gauge and is downloadable here:

http://www.o14group.org/2008/10/31/finescale-7mm-ng-trackwork/

Cheers

James

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks for the info James. The Brede... that's excellent. I'm familiar with the Brede Waterworks Tramway - have a well-read copy of Smithers 18 Inch Gauge Steam Railways. What are your plans for the loco? Are you scratching the Bagnall 1560? I admit to having a real soft spot for 18 inch gauge British industrial steam. Speaking for myself and I'm sure others here, I'd be interested in seeing more photos of this project as it progresses.

I'm also familiar with Roy Link's mag. I used to write a column for the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review back when Michael Brown was editing and publishing it. When Michael retired, Roy decided my contributions were no longer required... such is life :)

Paul