• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48n3 Lima Shay #122

Started by RoughboyModelworks, January 23, 2008, 04:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

I've started a thread on the Roughboy Blog http://www.roughboy.net/shinola/ chronicling the build of 1:48n3 Lima Shay #122 as run on the Mich-Cal Lumber Company as their #2. To give you a taste, I've attached a couple of perspective renderings of the rear pilot beam, one from the front, the second from the rear. The wood components (to be fabricated from Swiss Pear) are rendered as translucent plastic to illustrate the construction. I'm currently working on the drawings for the front pilot beam. Progress on the build will be published in the thread, so if you're interested, stop by for a look.

Paul

John McGuyer

This will be fun to watch as I'm doing roughly the same thing on the 1/20.3 K27. Made the beam as suggested here on the forum from pearwood and I love the stuff.

John

Chuck Doan

Nice start, Bill. I have the plastic "generic" version of this Shay. I hope to learn a lot.

Chuck
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Bill, this should be very interesting to watch you do this.  Plus the fact that the Shay is my favorite Engine.  Can't wait for the next post.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks for the good words guys. I've just posted an update on the Roughboy blog http://www.roughboy.net/shinola/ showing the perspective renderings of the front pilot beam. Next update will show the preparation and machining of the pear wood beam pieces.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

I've just posted an update on the shay project on the Roughboy blog http://www.roughboy.net/shinola/. I've included the teaser image below showing the mill set-up to machine a fixture that will be used to help machine the brackets that mount the pear wood pilot beams to the frame rails. Full details and more photos on the blog.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Another update has been posted on the Roughboy blog http://www.roughboy.net/shinola/ on the pilot beam bracket machining. Teaser image below shows brackets after machining and ready for the next step. Thumb & finger give a sense of scale. More photos and details on the blog.

Paul

marc_reusser

Beautiful!

....almost retentive ;D ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Since I'm back working on this project again, decided to bump the thread. Hopefully there won't be too many objections. It was also an opportunity to test the macro-focusing ability of a new digital camera. Finally replaced the old floppy-drive era beast I'd been using for years.  :)

I just finished drilling out the bolt hole in each bracket. The bolt (.020" dia. phosphor bronze rod) will fix the bracket to the pear wood end beams. I machined the short bolt end off the top of the cast-in NBW on the bracket to provide a flat surface for drilling. Then, using good old eye-sight (enhanced with lots of magnifiers) I located and drilled a #71 hole through the center of each cast-in nut. Photo below shows the drilling in process. I've removed all the finished brackets from the machining fixture and am currently cleaning off any excess solder. Once complete, I'll install the phosphor bronze bolts, the ends of which are threaded as an added detail (madness!). More pictures to come in the next post.

Paul

marc_reusser

Just amazing the kind ow work you and John produce. I always think of what a shame it is that so often when people see the finished model made like this, they have no idea of the amount of work and skill went into making it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks Marc. You're right, with the exception of a few other equally twisted souls here, most people have no concept of the amount of work and effort it takes to build these models. That fact is forcibly brought home if you have ever tried to make a living at modelmaking. With the exception of a very few exceptional and lucky builders, no one can expect to be paid fairly for their work. I expect I speak for all of us when I say we do it for the love of doing it and the challenges we set ourselves. I always try to push the limits, that's where the excitement and adventure reside.

Paul

finescalerr

I don't see how any modeler could earn enough to survive unless he consistently gets big bucks from corporate clients. The level of craftsmanship and artistry I see on this forum exceeds the vast majority of what I've seen in museums and of "professional" efforts. I still remember that exquisite little 1:48 critter you showed me ten or more years ago. -- Russ

jacq01

In Lahnstein Marcel Ackle and I discussed this matter till deep in the night.
"What is it that makes one model stand out against another" ? 
This question gave the feeling that the personal involvement in the creating proces is the most important factor.
Items that are built with love ( from the hart) DO stand out, they go beyond museum or professional quality.

A "professional" is always compromising as time and money are deciding factors in his "manufacturing" proces.

I can only built something to MY satisfaction when I understand it and am in the mental state to concentrate on it
A competition can be a catalist to start an item, it will never influence my own feeling of satisfaction. If one compromises there, it will always show.
I remember a similar discussion in Jacq's logging project started by Russ based on a phrase, a word. It resulted in a lot of posts from many directions.

Therefore thanks Uncle for the forum, it attracted a number of modelers that understand the ever shifting  limits and challenges, as Paul described so well, without any feeling of competition or fear of ridicule. 

With this recognition in mind, does the rest realy matter ?

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

John McGuyer

Paul,
I see you too have discovered those carbide circuit board drills that don't move around so much when you drill those tiny little holes.

John

RoughboyModelworks

John, those are great bits. They are almost all I use anymore. I bought a couple sets of them in 1994 and am still using them. As long as you run them at the right speed and feed slowly, they'll cut cleanly and accurately through almost anything.

You're right Jacq. A successful model has an indescribable quality, that goes beyond technical accomplishment, that could best be defined as soul. I too believe it comes from the heart and soul commitment of the builder.

Thanks Russ for the comment on the critter. That was a favorite little project. It was built as an operating model so some compromises were made in chassis detailing. To the best of my knowledge it is still chugging merrily along. Unfortunately I don't have any good photos of it. There was an article about it published in the Gazette in '95 I believe. Those photos were pretty good, but didn't really capture the subtle coloring or some of my favorite details. There are a lot of models I've done that I'd like to revisit with a digital camera  ;)

Paul