• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Grandt Line Helical Gears

Started by Franck Tavernier, January 21, 2017, 03:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Hi Guy's,

First of all, Happy New Year, Good Health and Happiness!

I'm in search for a new project (Yes, I come back to the hobby), helical gears from Grandt Line (Bronze and steel Helical gears) as the photo attached :

Unfortunately, this production no longer seems available! I think it was 64DP gears, but not sure...

I found this cross box from PSC, but the gears are now brass only...

If someone here has an idea or has to sell...  ;) :P

Thank you so much!

Franck

SandiaPaul

I might have something....let me look and get back to you.

Paul
Paul

SandiaPaul

Sorry this is all I have :( I guess I thought I was going to build a Climax at one time.

Paul

On edit...at work yesterday I saw some very small gears that were printed by Proto labs, they ran pretty well too. That might be an option but I think they are pretty $$$
Paul

Franck Tavernier

Ah thank you Paul, it's a pity! I'm not sure to find a second set...

Franck

Lawton Maner

Have you tried Northwest Short Line?

Franck Tavernier

Hi Lawton, of course, but they don't have the same helical gear, I'm sure now, it's 64DP (Mod. 0,4)...

PSC have now the same gear box (probably from Grandt Line), but only with brass helical gear, they don't have steel and bronze helical gear... :-\

Franck

narrowgauger

Hi Franck

simply use the PSC brass units.  Whilst technically incorrect to use the same (brass ) materials in a gear set, I can assure you that you will wear these out in your lifetime.

I have one loco I built 8 years ago and which has now run over 400 hours in exhibitions etc and still show no signs of undue wear.

if you need I also build a solid brass casing for these gears.

regards
Bernard S

Franck Tavernier

Hi Bernard, thanks for your help!

Steel and bronze gaers will be much better not only about wear, but also about wear, but also about friction, steel and bronze generate less friction, so also a better yield ...

But it's true that in our small trains, does performances are really significant? You're right about lifetime modeler, it's just because I'm a mechanical purist!.. ;D ;D ;D ;)

So, I will use the brass helical gear in 64DP from PSC...

Thanks again,

Franck

billmart

Franck -

I think I have what you want.  The part number for the gear box and gears is K:38.  I think that was an old number for 7038  It has a small gear box made of Delrin, a steel helical gear and a matching brass or bronze helical gear, plus some 0.092 inch steel shafting.  Let me know if you are interested in pursuing this.

Bill M.