• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Renault tank conversion

Started by Barney, August 05, 2017, 08:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Using and modifying some Renault FT Tank bits from the Meng kit (1/35th scale) I have started to build a late 1st WW Pre-production model of Renaults attempts at building a general purpose tractor (tracked version) - many were built in the late part of the 1st WW war and in-between the wars - first versions were a little crude using bits of the successful FT tank - but parts like the elaborate typical Renault bonnet /hood turned out to be a bent sheet metal effort mainly due to shortages in components and acquiring the appropriate pressings /machinery at the bomb out factories -engines were what was available and the tracks were often refurbished items - my research has shown many variations so its up the middle road with this one - it normally keeps the rivet counters at bay !!
a few shots of the progress so-far
Barney
photo of a early production model - possible 1919/20

Barney

The idler and drive wheels have been replaced - teeth on the drive wheels are only the ones that can be seen - the lower rollers  have been repositioned

Barney

The main body/chassis - early pre-production ones had a longer nose ! (bonnet / hood)

Barney

The engine and transmission bits / oil tank and all inside bits have been painted so the top half can be fitted

Barney

fuel tank ad rad now in place and front winch fitted

Barney

Started some work on the artillery piece that the Renault will be towing

finescalerr

Good start. The completed model should be satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Nearly there trial fit of gun parts /tracks and detail up with nuts /bolts and rivets

Barney

more nuts /bolts and rivets

Barney

the whole thing ready for the paint shop
Barney
and of course not to forget a Lego block used for the Carriage limber

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Another masterpiece , up to your usual standard . So what colour are you going paint it , Barney ?

finescalerr

In honor of the Lego block, why not try something with polka dots this time? -- ssuR

Barney

A sort of Greenish -Kakiish - Greyish with polka dots !!
Barney
in the paint shop with all the above up my nose - HUMBROL RULES enamel of course none of your pansies acrylic here.