• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Ed also has one of the new 3D scanners.  Not sure if he's perfected using it yet.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mobilgas

Russ,   Sketchup  for me to learn is not going to happen  ??? I'm to set in my way's and don't really want to learn it....rather pay someone to do that for me!!  I did ask some one on the forum if this could be done about a year ago and that's as far as it went. >:( Oh well another Idea I had bites the dust.
Craig

finescalerr

Hey, Craig, learning SketchUp was only one of three ideas. A fourth is that somebody here might actually want to draw the vehicle for you. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Craig,

Pete Hamann, (member here on the forum) does 3D drafting and design work, and printing prep for others. Maybe try dropping him a note.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 06, 2016, 11:28:34 PM
Craig,

Pete Hamann, (member here on the forum) does 3D drafting and design work, and printing prep for others. Maybe try dropping him a note.

OMG  He lives!!

Good to see your still alive and kicking.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

eTraxx

Quote from: mabloodhound on June 02, 2016, 09:32:08 AM
Ed also has one of the new 3D scanners.  Not sure if he's perfected using it yet.

This is a scan of a Nissan emblem. I embedded it in clay for  the scan .. the idea would be to copy the top part to replace the bit hidden by the clay. The emblem is about 4" dia. I used MeshLab to reduced the number of polygons quite a bit
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

Marc,   Thanks for the info  ;D  ill have to get ahold of him in the future....maybe this Fall when the weather gets cold!  hard to think about modeling when the weather's nice. ::)
Craig

finescalerr

Ed, that's pretty nice. -- Russ

Hauk

I think we have only just begun to see the results of combining  3D Scanning and 3D printing.

Here are a couple of 0-scale figures (Yours truly and friend) made with a cheap ($350) handheld scanner and a B9 printer:

The scans and prints were made by a Welsh  company called Modelu. Cost for 2 scans and 4 figures (2 in 0-scale and 2 in H0).
The cost was around USD 98 including postage from Wales to Norway.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Cool! Pretty darn nice quality. You should scan yourself working on your model.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Hauk, Those look really good. I've read that the red material is a hard wax, similar to lost wax casting material for jewelry. Have you tried painting any of the figures yet? If so what did you use and how did it work?

Hauk

I think custom scanned and printed figures will really take off.  
One of the things that give a model scene away is that you recognised the little people form countless other layouts and dioramas. Especially the better looking little people seem to travel a lot both in time and space!

Another nice feature is that you with almost no extra effort can produce them in any scale. Our figures were printed in "Scandinavian 0-scale", 1/45. Usually I have to choose betweeen 1/48 and 1/43,5 (British 7mm scale). I also had an H0 version made:

I think it is incredible that you can produce figures with this kind of quality using around $5000 worth of hardware.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

Quote from: Bill Gill on June 28, 2016, 04:01:30 AM
Hauk, Those look really good. I've read that the red material is a hard wax, similar to lost wax casting material for jewelry. Have you tried painting any of the figures yet? If so what did you use and how did it work?

I have not yet tried to paint the figures, and I have some concerns regarding paint adhesion.
But others seems to be doing just fine:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1972/entry-17746-modelu-figures-in-4mm-first-one-painted/

By the way, the fgures are resin, not hard wax. But this resin is burnable, so jewellers use prints in this material for "lost resin castings". 
Regards, Hauk
--

Bill Gill

Back in April I emailed Alan at Modelu to tell him how much I liked his figures even in HO scale. I asked him what the red material was and this is what he wrote in reply:
The resin is hard though also does have an amount of elasticity to it as it has a wax content for casting.  For that reason I only use the red resin as the non-wax resins are far too brittle.
Cheers
Alan

Wonder how much wax there is in that resin? Not sure the long term stability of wax, but boy do those figures look great!