• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

This is a photo of a bulldozer taken at a vintage machinery show. I did not get a name of the vehicle as I was interested in the finishes
Les

Les

And the other end
Les

narrowgauger

the crawler in the last 2 shots is a much modified "Lanz" diesel.

brute of a thing requiring a blow torch to start it, but once running amost impossible to stall

have fun

Bernard

Ray Dunakin

Sure is an odd looking thing. I wonder what all the stuff at the rear is for?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Les,

What a cool machine. Thanks for posting. Have promptly saved them to my files...probably need to get on building one, before the Ferguson does and once again squashes my hopes and dreams of basking in the limelight.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on May 08, 2012, 09:56:05 PM
Sure is an odd looking thing. I wonder what all the stuff at the rear is for?

Ray,

That is a two drum two Fairlead winch.  The Fairleads swivel to align the cables with the direction of pull.

This is the same winch system that I modeled on the back of my Cat 60's a couple years ago.

Rick

Krusty

Quotethe crawler in the last 2 shots is a much modified "Lanz" diesel.

Are you sure? It looks very much like a Fowler VF to me. The Lanz crawlers had somewhat simpler-looking running gear and a squarer body (but both were single-cylinder machines). Plus Models do quite a nice 1:35 kit for the Lanz, but the only Fowler I've seen was a somewhat basic (and expensive) limited run product for the die-cast toy collector market.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

billmart

I agree with Krusty.  I think it's a Fowler.

Bill Martinsen

Gordon Ferguson

Was trying to keep out of this thread as any comment from me would encourage young Mr Marc ;D

But I agree its a Fowler VF

Just happened to have some info/pics in the file ................. do not read anything into that Marc
Gordon

shropshire lad

Here is a small piece I just found . Hopefully it will clarify any confusion :

"Stock photos of Field Marshall tractors. In an early example of reverse engineering, the Marshall company, famous for their traction engines and boilers, produced these obviously Lanz-based designs after Lanz denied them a licence to manufacture their tractors. The first design, the 15/30 Model E, appeared in 1930. Called Field Marshall to distinguish them from the company's roading machines, the post-war series I, II and III were produced from 1945 until 1957 and are now popular with collectors. Tracked versions of the Marshall design were initially produced under the Fowler brands, but later tracked models, mostly produced after the Field Marshall name had disappeared, were know as Track Marshalls."

Plus two photos . First a Fowler . Second a Marshall .

So I think we are all right . Sort of .

Nick

chester

Similar sheet metal certainly but there are some differences in the drive train.

granitechops

Quote from: shropshire lad on May 10, 2012, 10:38:17 AM
Here is a small piece I just found . Hopefully it will clarify any confusion :

"Stock photos of Field Marshall tractors. In an early example of reverse engineering, the Marshall company, famous for their traction engines and boilers, produced these obviously Lanz-based designs after Lanz denied them a licence to manufacture their tractors. The first design, the 15/30 Model E, appeared in 1930. Called Field Marshall to distinguish them from the company's roading machines, the post-war series I, II and III were produced from 1945 until 1957 and are now popular with collectors. Tracked versions of the Marshall design were initially produced under the Fowler brands, but later tracked models, mostly produced after the Field Marshall name had disappeared, were know as Track Marshalls."
  Plus two photos . First a Fowler . Second a Marshall .
  So I think we are all right . Sort of .
Nick

from  my boyhood, vague memories of that Iconic & distinct Field Marshall chimney/exhaust 

(so patiently waits till maybe someone points out that others used that shape chimney/ exhaust !!!!)

even more vague, did it also have a distinct exhaust beat?
Don in sunny Devon, England

shropshire lad

Quote from: chester on May 10, 2012, 11:03:23 AM
Similar sheet metal certainly but there are some differences in the drive train.

To which photos are you referring ?

granitechops

Picture taken today
bottom 3 foot of trunk
& close up
this tree has been "hollow" like this for at least the last 30 years

granitechops

Further up

Strange, on the weather side of the tree all the bark is solid & healthy, the hollow parts are all on the lee side.