• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

5x5x7 project (1/35 scale)

Started by marc_reusser, December 19, 2009, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Sorry for my lack of participation...just been really busy....so no modeling time.

...but since Anders asked about this project in the Duetz thread....

Basically it's about 90-95% finished (still needs the window, and some small details like hinges, and a hook on the exterior for the lantern).....however I was not that thrilled with it so I just stuck it away in a cabinet. This is where it was at when I stopped work on it.

Cheers,

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

You should finish it, it looks great!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Agree.....superb model! Thanks for posting.

Anders  ;D

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 29, 2011, 03:13:19 AM
Sorry for my lack of participation...just been really busy....so no modeling time.

...but since Anders asked about this project in the Duetz thread....

Basically it's about 90-95% finished (still needs the window, and some small details like hinges, and a hook on the exterior for the lantern).....however I was not that thrilled with it so I just stuck it away in a cabinet. This is where it was at when I stopped work on it.

Cheers,

Marc

Christ , Marc , what's  bloody wrong with this one ?

finescalerr

It's one thing to be a perfectionist and another to let that tendency cripple you. -- Russ

marc_reusser

QuoteChrist , Marc , what's  bloody wrong with this one ?

Wood grain texture and some of the coloring, chipping on the red, the dirt/dust on the interior, and the overall proportions.
I am really pleased with all the small clutter details though (except the oil stain on the toolbox, which ended up too "shiny" ).

QuoteIt's one thing to be a perfectionist and another to let that tendency cripple you.

Not crippling...just not completely happy with it...but I knew this would be the likely result, as it really was just a project that was intended/developed as a series of experiments for a variety of techniques and processes, for me to learn and prove things to myself. ...and it really didn't have a clear plan...just ageneral direction that developed/happened as I went along, and depending on what I wanted to try. :)

It may still eventually get finished..as the window is one of the items I wanted to experiment with. (I've got till 2013  ;D)

M

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Marc, saw this over on the AK forum and think it's fantastic. Not sure how you do it, but I do have to come visit and peak over your shoulder sometime. :o

Rob

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 07, 2010, 12:50:40 PM

In the meantime.....I decided that a caboose might need a lantern. I modified a 1/48 scale grant line oil burning headlight by extending the bottom, grinding out the interior/reflector more, adding a wick stem, adding a handle using some brass wire and left over PE pieces. The glass lens was cut from microscope cover glass.

Marc, how do you cut circular disks from cover glasses? I tried using a scriber and plastic ruler with a hole, but my results were not very good. Ragged edges, and lots of broken glass.

Regards, Haavard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

marc_reusser

Window built and installed, and more dust added. Time to call this one done.
(That's another one Nick.   ;D )

M-Works

Mobilgas

Marc,    You been a modeling MACHINE ;D
Craig

marc_reusser

I'm not well........

...2 more to go.

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 19, 2013, 05:26:45 PM
Window built and installed, and more dust added. Time to call this one done.
(That's another one Nick.   ;D )

Have you set a date for pick-up by The Mother Ship?  You seem to be "finishing" an unusual number of things lately!

New window and latch detail look great ...

Keep it going!  We'll miss ya when yer gone ...  ;D

Cheers,
Dalals
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on May 20, 2013, 12:53:20 AM
Hmmm. -- Russ

.....yes?

FWIW, SBS wise, the window is made from 3-layers of sandwiched styrene, and a piece of microscope cover glass. A .040 wide square the size of the deeded window frame was cut out of a sheet of .010 styrene sheet. Stiles and rails were then cut from .060 wide x .010 thick styrene strip. These were then glued to one side of the previous .010 frame piece...aligning the ouside edges, and giving me a .020 lip on the inside. This assembly was turned over, and a piece of cut microscope cover glass was set into the opening on the .040 frame....held in by the .060 pieces behind it. Another set of .060 stiles and rails were cut and glued in on the top,...thus sandwiching the glass in place. The edges of the assembly were then lightly puttied and sanded to remove/hide any seams, and a fiberglass and wire pencil were ised to create a very light surface grain. Painting was done with a Tamiya acrylic base, oil color for the wood grain, and then some washes of Vallejo acrylics, to try and match the wood color and shading more closely.

Latch hook was scavenged from a Grandt-Line 1/48 scale stock car detail set. Hinge baarrels are .010 styrene rod, and the eyelet is an HO wire lift ring set  (think it was by Detail Associates)

M-Works

Chuck Doan

I'm glad to see you finish another one. The window latch looks great!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/