• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Google SketchUp Thread

Started by marc_reusser, May 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

This is not strictly SketchUp material but is closely related:

The "Cloud" version of Adobe Photoshop now offers a 3-D printing feature. This link appeared today: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/adobe-photoshop-cc-3d-printing,news-18210.html

Essentially, Photoshop now lets you clean up, texture, and enhance a 3-D drawing. Then it cleans up errors and sets up the drawing for output, uploads it to Shapeways (if you want), and mails you back the model.

Shall I throw away my hobby knife, file collection, disc sander, and drill press ...? (Yes, I really own some tools so no wisecracks!)

Russ

Chuck Doan

Well it seems that printing a proper finish on our 3D models is something that will happen someday. Then the whole point of building will change. Why struggle with antique hand tools when you can scan and print anything you want and have it be a prefect replica? (maybe still a few bugs to work out)

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

Even the best technology will NEVER compete with the eye and skill of a artist or craftsman!

A perfect example is photography: Technology has eliminated the dark room, the chemicals and made photography a lot easier. Yet, the ratio of good photographers vs "snap shooters" has not improved, in my opinion.

Some people could 3D print all day long, and their work will still look like a painted turd. Then there are 3D-projects like Chuck's gas pumps or Volker's Plettenburg projects, that are just mind blowing.

But I am very aware, that my (current) reluctance to dive into 3D drawing is ignorant. 3D-printing will become just another tool in the toolbox.

finescalerr

It was not my impression that Photoshop could replace paint on a printed part. If that were the case, I would squander whatever unfair price Adobe demands for the Cloud Creative Suite and crank out resin models left and right.

I think Photoshop may allow you to put a red nose on an orange clown or perhaps perform some other basic color/texture functions. It would seem its real value will be making 3-D drawings a little more elegant and print-ready. Or did I misunderstand?

Russ

kathymillatt

Well, after months of hard work I've nearly finished the end wall.  I seem to spend ages going around and around in circles but if it checks out as a solid then I'm a quarter of the way there....

mabloodhound

That looks great Kathy.   You even got the correct brick bond in there.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Kathy, That looks great. Congrats on the progress.

Russ, Things in PS only end up being more elegant, if you have the skill to, and, create/draw them that way, in the first place.  :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

kathymillatt

Thanks Guys

Correct brick bond is only because I copied a prototype picture, brick for brick!

Now I need to decide how to do the corners to the next wall. A 45 degree V so that the walls meet at an angle or carrying the bricks around the corner some how.

Kathy

finescalerr

It may be a pain, but if you can make the bricks interlock there will be no 45-degree glue joint lines.

Did you draw each individual brick (or string of bricks and mortar) as I did? If so, don't you feel almost like a brick mason?

Russ

kathymillatt

Hi Russ

I did do some big sections of brick by copying a group but often struggled to get the mortar lines to drop down when I did that. The windows were a real pain to get to join with the rest if the brickwork.

I did all the diagonal direction bricks one at a time as you just can't copy and paste.

If I'm honest, I've probably drawn enough bricks to do the entire building... many times over.

I think interlocking is right so I'll need to think whether to draw the bricks and leave the mortar to allow for some wiggle room. I can always fill it later.

Regards

Kathy

mabloodhound

Interlocking corners will look best.   And don't forget the mirror image trick.   You can draw one half of an item and then use the mirror to get the other half, then joining them together.   Same goes for creating opposite sides or ends.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

kathymillatt

I've never seen mirror image in Sketchup so thanks for the tip!

Kathy

eTraxx

Kathy. Select your object and then hit "S" for Scale. Grab the center 'handle' and pull until the object collapses .. keep pulling and it inverts. You can either watch the numbers on the bottom .. until it reads -1 .. or just type -1 and hit enter.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

kathymillatt

Cool, I'll have a go.

Thanks guys, it's great to learn new things.

Kathy

finescalerr

I called Ed last month and he gave me a lot of extremely helpful tips about SketchUp. He really knows his stuff. The one about the Scale tool is among the most useful.

My latest exercise was to draw a truck hood with basic compound curves. Wait until you try something like THAT ....

Russ