• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Interesting Feldbahn Diorama under construction…

Started by RoughboyModelworks, April 25, 2010, 08:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

I came across this lengthy thread (35 pages) by a gentleman by the name of Frithjof on the buntbahn.de forum that is well worth studying: http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=6691. My ability to read German is spotty at best and what I've been able to glean from the text comes via Google Translate. Correction: I guessed originally that he was modelling in 1:32. Harald pointed out that he's modelling in 1:22.5. The first photo is of a prior diorama in 1:45. He has several other photos of that showing the scaffolding construction. What's interesting are some of the techniques employed, materials used, the level of research and the high-calibre of the construction. It's all CAD based construction and he appears to be using MDF as a primary building material for his brick work. His original brick work method was interesting as well, though much more time consuming. Extraordinary attention is paid to the details such as hinges, conduits, mechanical fittings, rain gutters and so forth. His coloring and texturing appear excellent. He also appears to have mastered track work and convincing ground cover. The model is not static, the lifts, hoists, counterweights all work. I've included several sample teaser images. Pretty outstanding work I'd say or as Russ would put it "most satisfactory."

Paul

hguent2003

Frithjof is modeling in 1:22.5. At least his current Feldbahn layout. The first picture you attached shows parts of his former 1:45 based layout.

Harald

gnichols

Neat stuff.  But I can't find the link / page on his work after going to the German forum.  Help?  Gary

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks for the info Harald. Gary, not sure what the problem is. The link in the post goes directly to his thread. The first few pages have a collection of miscellaneous photos related to prototypes he's interested in or using for inspiration. You need to go deeper into the thread to find the model work.

Paul

gnichols

Quote from: Roughboy on April 25, 2010, 10:42:26 AM
Thanks for the info Harald. Gary, not sure what the problem is. The link in the post goes directly to his thread. The first few pages have a collection of miscellaneous photos related to prototypes he's interested in or using for inspiration. You need to go deeper into the thread to find the model work. Paul

I tried every link on that page and didn't see anything that resembled the pix you posted.  Now... I realize there were 35 pages on it.... so after I take a week off to read them all, I'll be back!  Gary

gnichols

Amazing stuff.  I HATE all you guys with talent!!!!  Not.  About the only thing this guy and I have in common are the Presier figures!!!  Gary

Ray Dunakin

Cool stuff. I like the scaffolding with the building under repair... that's something you don't see modeled very often.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Oh, my! His work is indeed most satisfactory. Once again it shows how computers and lasers can create superior models when we use them in an artful way. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

I've just browsed - not read, my german is too poor - the whole thread on the german forum. The work is much impressive, and all the pics are beautiful, be it shots of the model or CAD pictures. Some of the weathering reminded me very much of Chuck's.
Frederic Testard

narrowgauger

Good morning gentlemen

this excellent series [runs to about 32 pages at this stage] may be found at:

www.buntbahn.de

go to "Foren-ubersight", select "anlagenbau & zubehor", select "feldbahnmodule mit schiff"

the author is modelling a major lock & narrow gauge bridge over the lock & canal.  all based on accurate historical data supported by many prototype photo's etc.

for team members into high tech stuff all this work has been done using computer based CNC cut MDF board etc.  Well worth following the series.

have fun

Bernard

finescalerr

For those who don't already know it, our good friends at Google have a web browser called Chrome. In it is a feature that translates all the text on a site from one language to another. I installed Chrome a week before Google yanked its ads from this site and found that the translations, while rough, are enough to provide a good idea of what the writer is saying. It is also considerably faster than IE Explorer in many cases (but some people tell me it is either slower in other cases or won't even open the page). For sites in any difficult language, Chrome works pretty well. You may use it in addition do any other web browsers; it will not interfere with them.

Russ

JohnP

That thread is quite a treat. It opens doors to any idea using any method or machine I may come up with to make a model- this fella probably has done it or thought of it. Check out the brick press in the early pages. Page 10 has nice photos of natural ground cover materials he uses. I could go on. Well worth spending time on.

Thanks Paul.

John
John Palecki

Chuck Doan

Amazing! Nice find Paul! I need to spend some time over there.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Been watching his build(s) for a while....truely amazing what he produces...and the equipment/tool and techniques he employs are wonderful.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

This topic Has been Split..and a new thread has been set-up here: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1358.msg23844#new to follow the SBS of this incredible build/project.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works