• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoker

Great job on the stonework, I especially like the moss. The issue of the wooden teeth on some gears is interesting. I do however disagree with the conclusion about the purpose of the wooden gear teeth being sacrificial mechanical overload protection. The idea of using a single shear pin to protect mechanisms goes back centuries and no engineer worth his salt would design something that requires replacing hundreds of precision wooden teeth every time there is a mechanical overload on the system instead of replacing a single shear pin. Just an observation.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Lawton Maner

An article in an early issue of the English magazine "Model Engineering Workshop" referred to an early 20th century work in which it stated that prior to the introduction of higher mathematics in the design of gear teeth, it was common to make one gear with wooden teeth as in this example so that only the weaker teeth would wear.  Today you will see a brass or plastic gear introduced into a train of gears to be sacrificed to wear.  As soon as I get the collection out of storage, I'll add the reference.

Peter_T1958

Hello

I found this at: www.newhallmill.org.uk

Gear Wheel with Wooden Teeth

Many visitors to the Mill are surprised to learn that some of the gears transferring the power from the waterwheel to the millstones are fitted with wooden teeth. Millers found that using wooden and metal toothed gears together produced less noise when the mill operated and reduced the wear on the metal toothed gears. It also acted as an additional safety factor as the wooden teeth will break under excessive force.
The teeth, or 'cogs', were usually made from apple, cherry or hornbeam wood, cut to shape before being inserted into the cast iron gear wheel frame. If a tooth became worn or broken, it could be removed and replaced by a new one.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

NE Brownstone

Excellent job on the stonework!
Could the differential gear been for equalizing the torque amongst the two wheels?  It could be for reversing, or supplying a reversed cable.
Russ
The other, other Russ

Stoker

Interesting points about the use of wooden teeth in this type of situation. Being that the original gears appear to have been all been metal, it seems like the noise reduction aspect of using some wooden toothed gears would be the most logical answer as to why the switch was made. Especially when you see that these were in a very populated area. This is my opinion, but to me it seems like the friability aspect of wooden teeth engaged against steel ones would result in increased maintenance and downtime. Protection from catastrophic overload of the mechanism is more of a by product of using wooden teeth , rather than the intended goal in this case, because if this were the intent using a shear pin is obviously the superior method.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Peter_T1958

Thanks gents for your thoughts!

The last pic shows a scrap piece for trials and not the abutement itself. And yes, of course I have to improve is the colour of the moss blotches and the size of the flakes (HEKI Mikrolaub Belaubungsflocken) yet. Maybe a light brownish/yellowish overspray will help ...

Here the real thing - the direction I would like to move: 

Peter

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous work on the weathering and moss.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Here a small update after today's long painting session (I painted the lichen blotches in the upper wall with a small pencil). It's a long way to go yet, but together with one finished support pillar I'am staring to build up a picture of the final appearance now. ::)

Cheers, Peter

Peter_T1958

... and here a last update before start on vacation with my family.

Finally was able to finish one of the bigger gear wheels. All my casting attempts led to a dead end and it seems that I have to build up each gear scratch from styrene... huh!
I'm not quite sure if the weathering isn't a little bit overdone (for an installation that is operational after all ...). What do you think?

Design-HSB

Peter, I think you need to see and continue the design started your work as a whole.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

That is a very good looking gear. I can't really comment on the accuracy of the weathering but the appearance pleases my eye. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Peter,

the gear looks very impressive! Did you really scratchbuild that completely, even the teeth?

If you need support with the "no go technology" for modelers, I'll again be happy to help  ;). After my vacancies.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

Thanks volks!

@Volker
Once again, generous offer! Thank you very much. Who knows - maybe some day I will have to get to that point, but I do not hope so ...
At the moment, traditional crafts are sufficient, although building each gear wheel by scratch increases the amount of time significantly! >:(

Here the unpainted gear:   

Ray Dunakin

Splendid work! Except for the background, I would not have guessed it was a model. The weathering looks "right" to me, not too rusty, with plenty of grease. Only thing I wonder is whether the teeth might be a bit more shiny from use?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NE Brownstone

I've been around a few greasy wheels and equipment over the years and have to say that you nailed it as far as weathering.  I do agree with Ray about the shiny teeth, but don't over do it.  Just on the faces of contact.
Russ
The other, other Russ