• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

5x5x7 project (1/35 scale)

Started by marc_reusser, December 19, 2009, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

A simple addition of a "backsplash" (for lack of a better term) after the seat is removed.
BUT, an 18" tall bench seems kinda low to me, 24" is comfortable.
Whatever you decide I'm glad we were able to learn a little on this journey.
You could also make the door barely open?
-Marty

RoughboyModelworks

Well, it is a tad high. But then given the generally vertical appearance of the car, it doesn't look too high, it still looks believable IMO. However, knowing your finicky nature, I suspect that you'll tear it out and refit it at the correct height. But I also suspect that you'll find a clever solution to conceal or cover any visible glue damage to the structure, as Marty suggests. Until you tear it out, you're not going to know of the existence or extent of that damage... it may not be as bad as you forecast. It's certainly not worth trashing the whole project though...

Paul

finescalerr

Is the seat height really a "make or break" factor? That seems silly. Nobody but you would have any idea about the "correct" height and it's an interior detail with a completely plausible appearance. For that you'd sack the entire model? Heck, don't even change it!

I'm a nitpicker but you're over the top. Leave it alone and move forward. Believe me, it looks absolutely fine.

Your fumbling photographic technique is altogether a different matter ....

Russ

NORCALLOGGER

Let's see if I understand this correctly.
You spend upteen hours making perfectly fine new products,wood, styrene, etc. look old, weathered,
and beat to crap.  Now your having the vapors because if you move a board it might leave a mark on the pristeen surface :D ;D ::) ;).
It looks very good by the way.
Rick Marty

Ray Dunakin

I think it looks fine the way it is. No one would ever have known it was "wrong" if you hadn't declared it so.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.....but here's the deal...

A. It's ergonamically wrong.

B. It bugs me...especially with a figure next to it, and you can see the bench hit half-way up his thigh...after all it's a caboose and not a bar.

C. The most important one though,.....if I am going to be a picky, opinionated and abrasive guy, and point out errors/issues in other peoples work, I need to recognize and correct my own. Basically it's a put-up-or-shut-up, credibility, and no double-standard type of deal.

I have also gone and removed 4 more of the  boards with the old/original attempt on the nails wall, and replaced them with new boards, using the second method.

Marty:
You been sneeking around in my head again? ;D...that is a sim thought to what I had...it would give me a good place to stuff a bottle of Vodka and an old newspaper behind.

......now if I can just find a 1/35 scale Stolichnaya decal.  ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

I will be glad to make the decal for you! Of course there will be some study of the subject matter,.....................so please send samples of the desired product and I will gladly get back to you ;D
Gil
Life is short,............ so I'll have another drink please
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

No newspaper Marc, a Playboy!
Turning a vodka bottle on your new lathe should be easy!
-Mj

finescalerr

Marty, he can't turn a vodka bottle on his lathe because it's a miniature lathe and the full size bottle won't fit on it. But he might be able to turn some small diameter acrylic rod to represent a miniature vodka bottle.

Oh, that's what you meant? Never mind ....

ssuR

RoughboyModelworks

I do believe it's time for Russ to go the corner....  (just not mine, ok... it's already crowded over here)   ;D ;D

Paul

marc_reusser

Quote from: lab-dad on January 11, 2010, 04:56:21 AM
No newspaper Marc, a Playboy!
Turning a vodka bottle on your new lathe should be easy!
-Mj

I was thinking more along the line of the "London Times" or "Der Spiegel"...afterall, despite it's appearance, it's a caboose and not an outhouse ;)

...I am working on emptying a sample bottle, so I can accurately measure for prototypical wall thickness. ;D

Gil,

Thanks for the offer....I may take you up on that, If I can't come up with anything adaptable from my scrap decal bin.

Marc

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 11, 2010, 08:18:35 PM
I was thinking more along the line of the "London Times" or "Der Spiegel"...afterall, despite it's appearance, it's a caboose and not an outhouse ;)

...I am working on emptying a sample bottle, so I can accurately measure for prototypical wall thickness. ;D
Marc

Aha... I knew this was a drinking club (albeit a remarkably well-informed one) with a modelling problem.

Well since you're working your way through the research phase on the vodka bottle project determining prototypical wall thickness and so forth, I can only assume that your planning on making the scale bottle hollow (could easily be done by turning the bottle in two halves, top and bottom. The label could cover and hide the join, not that I've given this any thought...), which means that you're going to have to save a few drops of that elixir to fill the scale bottle. Of course, then you'll have to turn a scale cork, but that seems a minimal challenge...

Paul

marc_reusser

Last night my little dude finished the roof sheathing, and the other side wall, and lowered the bench. The roof framing members interloc into the blocking on the top plates.

Other than a couple of small interior wood planks, a couple of Floor joists underneath the general/rough wood portion of this project is complete.......next it's on to making the window, door and their repective frames and trim.

MR

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Looking good Marc... how did you resolve the glue remnants after lowering the bench?

Also, as an aside, I notice the crew member is wearing flood pants, which is probably a good thing considering the leaks in the roof... ;D

Paul   <heading back to the corner...>

Scratchman

Marc,nice color in the wood and that is a good way to do a removable roof.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/