• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Next 1/16th machine; Universal Miller

Started by lab-dad, December 26, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Marty, aren't you afraid that the oil will damage the PS or will attract dust and scatter all over the model later on?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

marklayton

Volker has a excellent point!  I'd assumed the oil was gloss varnish with some black tint added.

Using real oil takes realism to a new level so you can experience the same problem I do in my mixed-use shop - despite a good dust collection system, stray sawdust or airborne grinding dust has a way of settling onto oiled ways making a mess!

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

lab-dad

I never really thought about it.
I'm not worried.
If when it gets dirty I will wipe it off and re-apply.
If the table melts, I'll make a new one and use something different.
-Marty

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Lip gloss came to mind last evening while..........nevermind

Junior

That´s a fabtastic piece of machinery Marty.....simply stunning!

Here is a great product for fresh oil: AK Interactive 084 Fresh Oil. The fresh oil can be seen in the attached shot taken during construction of my bike shop. The work table has a few stains but it can be better viewed in the little can on the floor and also on the funnel next to it. They are dry to the touch in the picture. AK 082 also works great for used oil.
http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/index.php?acc=Catalog&idc=3&IDCat=593&p=3

Anders

Pic.

finescalerr

He lives! Awakened from his long winter slumber, Anders emerges and share some thoughts with the modeling community .... -- ssuR

lab-dad

HI Anders!
Thanks for the compliment!
I have the used oil, did not know they had a new oil.
I used to use artists oil, gloss medium or, high gloss clear.
Thought of the oil and figured I'd give it a test.
Will get some "new oil" with the next order. Thanks.

-Marty

michael mott

Marty
The accolades are more than well deserved, when I saw the finished photos I thought that it was a reference picture then the hand and then up-scaled the finish another notch. My the talent on this forum is second to none.
My head is bowed in reverence.

Michael