• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Next 1/16th machine; Universal Miller

Started by lab-dad, December 26, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Marc
Well you get the prize for paying attention!
It is still early but something I want to do!

Mark
THANKS!
Thats a great picture!
Especially since I am in the painting phase!

More soon!
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Marc you where right it is Dave Revelia.

MJ can't wait to see the plans and the first metal shaving's on the floor.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marklayton

Marty -

If you'd like some detail photos of the painted and machined surfaces, oil seepage, and signs/labels, I'd be happy to take the camera to the shop tomorrow.

As you can see in the photo, last time I used the machine, I retracted the support bars, stowed the spindle support bearings in the rear, and was using a regular end mill - a 2" diameter roughing mill to thickness stock for a power hammer forging tool.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

lab-dad

Why YES, Mark.
That would be great!
Thanks!
-Marty

marklayton

Marty -

I took some photos of my old Brown & Sharpe No 2B Plain standard-type horizontal mill.  Forgot to take my tripod along, so these are all hand-held, and may not be a tack-sharp as I'd like.  Lighting in the shop is high-intensity florescent, which yields a green cast - I tried to correct the color.

I'll start on the left side:
1.  Overall view
2.  Detail of an access door casting and cast-on lettering

Mark

marklayton

Continuing on the left side...

1.  Detail of the table drive shafts - the lower moves the table at the selected feed speed, the upper is for fast traverse
2.  Detail of paint - note the chipping and crazing

Mark

marklayton

Continuing on the left side...

1.  Detail of the cast-on Brown & Sharpe lettering

Mark

marklayton

Now around to the knee...

1.  General view of the knee from the front.  Lots of levers and cranks:
     Large crank wheel manually moves the table front-to-back
     Large crank with the tennis ball (to protect my shins!) manually raises the table up and down
     Strange black crank left of the ways dials in the feed speed
     The lever above the ways engages the table feel to move left-to-right
     Black lever to the right of the ways engages the fast traverse for which ever axes are actively being driven
     The two levers to the right and below the ways engage the vertical and front-to-back drive (one or the other)
2.  View of the right side of knee (where a machinist would stand when watching an end mill that can't be seen from the front) - the levers duplicate the x, y, and z drive engagement levers on the front

Mark

marklayton

Looking at the table...

1.  Top view showing t-slots for clamping, and screens that keep chips from being drained off with the coolant. Sorry about the chips - didn't clean up after myself last time!
2.  Detail of the coolant drain with no hose attached.

Mark

marklayton

Now for the back side...

1.  Cast iron drive chain cover and drip oiler.  The chain is like like 8 bicycle chains in parallel.

Mark

marklayton

Around to the right side, where the spindle speed and feed speed controls and indicators are located...

1.  General view.  Lots of cranks and levers...
     The lever to the right of the speed placard controls the rotation direction of the spindle
     The crank to the left and below the speed placard controls the spindle speed.  The little lever below it engages the back gear to provide a slower speed range
     The lower crank adjusts table feed speed.  Notice that the crank we saw on the front of the knee is linked via shafts and universal joints to allow speed control from the front of the machine
     The T-handle at the top will extend and retract the massive steel bars that hold the outboard spindle support
2.   Label detail

Mark

marklayton

More right side details...

1.  The etched speed placard showing all the available spindle speeds
2.  The etched warning label for the electrician - get the phases wire up right!  (Sorry, this one isn't a sharp photo)

Mark

marklayton

More right side details...

1.  Detail of the spindle speed control.  The speed is viewed in the little round glass window.
2.  Detail of the machine name plate

Mark

marklayton

And now for spindle...

1.  A view of the spindle with an arbor mounted (no cutters attached)
2.  A close-up of the end of the spindle where the 50-taper arbor attaches

Mark

marklayton

And last, but not least, one of the outboard spindle supports.  There are two of these, one with a large bearing that matches a sleeve on the arbor to support long arbors in the middle, and one with a smaller bearing to fit the end of the spindle.  With the short arbor mounted, I only have the support with the smaller bearing in place.

Overall comment on color.  As you can see, I wasn't following a rigorous workflow, so the color varies.  I'd say the best color match is the photo of the front of the knee.

Mark