• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Modified Fowler Inspection loco

Started by michael mott, August 05, 2011, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

A short update

The temporary lacing was removed so that the tubular frame could be pickled primed and painted. This is a brand new loco so no weathering, all new "spit an' polish" as the expression goes.

The frame was primed with Pollyscale  zinc chromate then painted with Tamiya black X1.

The maple side panels were stained with Varathane natural oak. waiting for the final varnish.

Instead of the FOWLER nameplate I will make one up for the model using this method
Which is to take some .002" shim-stock and anneal it, then emboss the text on the backside in mirror text. the easy way is to print off the text in reverse then practice with a sharpened 9H pencil the pencil is best because it is also a lubricant (graphite)

regards michael

finescalerr

That turned out rather well. -- Russ

Wesleybeks

I can really imagine myself dosing off on that chair. It looks so comfortable.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Gus

Michael - that embossing process in fantastic.  I took the liberty of posting a link over on our SMHDV forum for the members to come and have a look.  By the way, love your work ;D

Cheers - Gus

michael mott

Thanks for the kind words.
I finished the loco and sent it off to the recipient of the swap project. I could have done more but I needed to finish it.

some last shots showing the battery area and the switch which is in the brake handles.

the brake handles are Ebony.

The transfer of the battery power to the Ebony handles is via some copper srtips on the insides of the seat sides.

The loco will move forward or backward depending on the positions of the levers on each side, when both levers are forward or back then the loco is off. move one of the levers in the opposite direction and the loco moves. this short video shows what I am trying to explain. The handles were an earlier version that I was not happy with. so replaced them with curved Ebony ones.

http://vimeo.com/32588600

A final shot, this model is now on its way to a foreign land, and I am moving on to this years project.

regards Michael

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

And this year's model is stunning as well!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

... And that is the best you can do? Ho-hum. Quite satisfactory nonetheless.

What's the next project?

Russ

michael mott

Thanks all,
Russ sometimes we just fall short of the mark, I know I could have done better, I just needed to finish up. It is good to know that keen eyes are vigilant, it keeps us on our toes.

Next project is this

and here is a short video if the rear axle sprocket.

http://vimeo.com/32691248

Michael

nk

That is very nice work indeed. I keep noticing that the base with the curved corners and the strip of metal around the edge bears a resemblance to an iphone...plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/