• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

one nighter in 1/87

Started by chester, June 08, 2012, 07:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

I don't ever remember doing a step by step for anything I've shown here. So this is just to show that I don't buy everything from an obscure hobby shop somewhere in Siberia.
   I remember one of these behind my grandfather's barn. It was fondly referred to as the crab. I don't know if this was out of endearment or that's what the thing is actually called. Anyway, it's a single reduction, hand cranked winch with a friction brake that I hope to incorporate into a stone cutting diorama. I started out by gluing some .040" x .156" strips with a small triangle to give me the depth I needed. They were cut to shape, rounded the inside and drilled. The spool shaft made of aluminum tube had an old watch gear put on it and the width of the crab was determined.

chester

I could then install all the connecting rods at the bottom and the drive shaft on top. All the ends of the rod were heated to round them over. I covered the outside of each standard with half round strip and added the crank and brake. All got a coat of Floquil RR Tie Brown.

chester

I gave the Floquil about a hour of dry time and then hit it with PolyScale oily Black and after only a few minutes, a light misting of matte finish. Again let dry well enough to touch and washed it with a burnt umber acrylic and while still wet sprinkled powdered rust and Indian Red chalk. Let dry again and dusted with yellow ochre. This will be the prime mover for a small derrick (if I ever get to it)

Krusty

Beautiful piece of work, as always.

QuoteIt was fondly referred to as the crab. I don't know if this was out of endearment or that's what the thing is actually called.

Standard term for a small hand winch.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

chester

Thanks Kevin, wish I saw your drawing first, I forgot the pawl to lock the spool.

Andi Little

Great job on the winch Chester, an attractive piece of scenic flotsam - is that really 1/87th? All the more impressive.

I did a quick "google image" search and it threw up all sorts of designs, and the original Victorian style in cast iron were the best by far, really quite elegant.
They look to be a simplish(?) little project and I might be tempted to emulate your success [would you mind]?
It's the sort of thing that would look particularly at home in the Top Yard - Bottom Yard too come to think of it ........ perhaps we could have a mini group build - unofficial of course.
In fact; I have the Bedford half way through now, and I've also committed myself to a rather extensive Tractor build - but this might just make an attractive yet simple diversion???

Great Job, and thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers.
KBO..................... Andi.

billmart

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the size of this piece.  I model in 1:13.7 scale.  In 1:87 scale, this has to be tiny.

Very impressive.  I love the look of the piece and the weathering job.

Bill Martinsen

finescalerr