• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Re-Build or purpose built?

Started by NORCALLOGGER, April 20, 2014, 08:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all I saw this in Oregon the other day and snapped a couple pictures.
Can someone tell me if this is a conversion from a military vehicle or a
purpose built machine.

Either way I thought it was an interesting machine.  The place was closed so I couldn't ask any questions, maybe next time.
Thanks.
Rick

Gordon Ferguson

Rick, the bottom half looks to me as it came from Sherman tank, model with the HSSV suspension?
Gordon

shropshire lad

Pedant's Corner ( My favourite of all the corner that I frequent! ) .

Gordon ,

Do you mean HVSS suspension ?

Nick

Design-HSB

I think that's einTractor bulldozer embarrassed to pipeline.
Since, however, lacks the self-supporting floor pan from the tank, I think only the chain drives and drive shafts were used by tanks.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

After WWII many industries recycled tanks and other vehicles for other uses.  Timber Times had a series of articles and models based on Sherman Tanks used for everything from bulldozers to skidders. When I get home, I'll look it up and tell you which issues the articles are in. The original article was in issue # 17 an a model of a Sherman Tank made into a Skidder appeared in issue #52.

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on April 21, 2014, 12:48:48 AM
Pedant's Corner ( My favourite of all the corner that I frequent! ) .

Gordon ,

Do you mean HVSS suspension ?

Nick

HVSS.    HSSV.     What ever?      You really do need to get out of that corner more often  ;)
Gordon

eTraxx

HVSS - Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/suspension/hvss_suspension.html

The M4A3 was the first to be factory-produced with horizontal volute spring suspension
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Gordon Ferguson

Ed, no doubt that will keep Nick happy for hours
Gordon

eTraxx

Seriously ... every time I am in the hobby shop I catch myself eyeballing the 1:48 armor kits .. and thinking .. a nice copy of that machine rusting silently in the weeds .. cool! :)
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

As someone who knows virtually nothing about armored vehicles, I wonder why the tracks (including wheels, suspension, etc) are so different from tracked civilian vehicles such as tractors and bulldozers?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on April 21, 2014, 02:19:37 PM
Ed, no doubt that will keep Nick happy for hours

No need to get all bitter and twisted about it !

eTraxx

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 21, 2014, 08:22:12 PM
As someone who knows virtually nothing about armored vehicles, I wonder why the tracks (including wheels, suspension, etc) are so different from tracked civilian vehicles such as tractors and bulldozers?

A bulldozer moves relatively slowly, has to move through very rough terrain such as rock without the track coming off. A tank - at least a modern tank has to be able to move fast and keep from turning the crew into jelly while doing that! An Abrams tank has problems in rough, rocky terrain and can throw track pretty easily if you try turning in that rock. It's really a form of evolution - divergence started prior to WWII probably.
Ed Traxler

Lawton Maner

For those among us with a pocket of change to spare, check out this auction.  It includes several items which will make NRA members wet themselves.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140228-your-own-private-arsenal