• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Small world!

Started by Ray Dunakin, February 02, 2013, 06:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Today I took my wife to a miniatures show. I'm going through the place hoping to spot something I could use in a model, when I notice somebody selling some really nice wall-mounted display cases. There were several cases on display with dioramas inside, and suddenly one diorama in particular made my jaw drop. It was Chuck Doan's "Groveland Garage"! What a totally unexpected treat!

It was great getting to see Chuck's masterpiece in person, and also meeting his folks. (His dad makes and sells the display cases.)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 02, 2013, 06:28:19 PM
Today I took my wife to a miniatures show. I'm going through the place hoping to spot something I could use in a model, when I notice somebody selling some really nice wall-mounted display cases. There were several cases on display with dioramas inside, and suddenly one diorama in particular made my jaw drop. It was Chuck Doan's "Groveland Garage"! What a totally unexpected treat!

It was great getting to see Chuck's masterpiece in person, and also meeting his folks. (His dad makes and sells the display cases.)

Did you buy the display case with Chuck's diorama in it ? !   It has got to be worth $100.00 !

marc_reusser

I can't believe Chuck is using his ad to pimp his old used dios. For shame.  ;D :D

Although I agree with you...his dad is a really neat guy....and has a boat-load of modeling talent in his own right.

I guess a hundred would be a fair price....probably about the salvage value of all the basswood and detail bits.

I remember seeing that dio in person at the 2004 NNGC......it completely floored me. Glad you got to enjoy it as well.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Does Chuck's dad have a website?
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Mr. Doan's website is

www.cortlandcases.com

Marc, you must be thinking of the Red Oak Garage. The Groveland Garage diorama is one of Chuck's more recent creations, featured on the Winter 2012 Modeler's Annual.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Who is Chuck Doan? -- Russ

Mobilgas

Russ,  I was wondering the same thing??  Never heard of Him.
Craig

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 03, 2013, 11:52:56 AM
Who is Chuck Doan? -- Russ

Your ailments last year seem to be more serious than we first thought . It looks like memory loss needs to be added to the list . Hopefully , it will only be short term .

Nurse , Reinberg has fallen out of his wheelchair again .

finescalerr

Ah, Nick my lad, the corner beckons .... -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words Ray! I haven't spoken to my Dad since the show; I'll probably see him sometime this week. I had a reserve price of 50.00, so a hundred would be great! Tough times and all. Peeling basswood ain't worth much these days.

I'm just glad the folks are back on the show circuit with some health issues behind them.

Back to my cave now...
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 04, 2013, 12:25:54 AM
Ah, Nick my lad, the corner beckons .... -- Russ

Alright , I'm going .

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 04, 2013, 07:00:07 AM
Thanks for the nice words Ray! I haven't spoken to my Dad since the show; I'll probably see him sometime this week. I had a reserve price of 50.00, so a hundred would be great! Tough times and all. Peeling basswood ain't worth much these days.

I'm just glad the folks are back on the show circuit with some health issues behind them.

Back to my cave now...

So you'll take $100.00 plus whatever it costs to ship to the UK ?   Oh goody !

marc_reusser

Shipping must be somewhere around $10,000.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

I'm not too unreasonable, that's for Shipping AND handling. ;)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 04, 2013, 12:23:22 PM
Shipping must be somewhere around $10,000.

Don't worry . I'll pop over and pick it up .