• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

I just got my order from Trackside Details. Parts for my 0-4-0 and the two Tozers.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ray Dunakin

Did you order direct from TD? How quickly did you get the parts?

I've ordered some from Caboose Hobbies in the past, which is fine except they don't use the TD part numbers, they don't show any photos, and they don't provide a good description of the part, so it's often difficult to be sure which part you're ordering.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Ray, here's the link to Trackside Details

http://www.tracksidedetails.com/

I emailed  my order to check if I had the right prices. David emailed me back that it was OK. I sent a money order on Thursday of last week, and got the parts today. He will take checks or Pay Pal. The web site has photos of all the parts.

Gordon Birrell 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Gordon,
Those fittings look great. I am always on the hunt for pieces like this. thanks for posting the link and info.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

G'evening all,

getting the Special Hydrocal was a piece of cake, but getting some Floquil/Polly Scale colours "concrete" and "aged concrete" as well turned out to be the tricky bit ... but I finally managed it - today.  ;D

So I got some new stuff on my bench (desk) and am going to give it a try soon ...

Cheers

marc_reusser

Gerald;  Sweet! Now, I look forward to your newest concrete creations!

I only had a box of Japanese stuff sitting on my doorstep today. :-\  Hopefully it will clear things up.

M-Works

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

mad gerald

Quote from: Bexley on April 21, 2012, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: mad gerald on April 20, 2012, 12:40:37 PMgetting the Special Hydrocal was a piece of cake
What makes it "special?"
... don't know if there ever has been a "normal" or "regular" type of Hydrocal - the advantage seems to be IMHO more volume combined with less weight, compared i. e. to plaster or any common compound being used for landscaping. (package insert says: "... half the weight ... twice abundant ... plain surface ...")

Cheers

Bexley

So, special as in "hydrocal is special compared to other plasters" and not "this hydrocal is special because it's better than boring plain normal hydrocal."
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

mad gerald

Quote from: Bexley on April 21, 2012, 02:06:57 PM
So, special as in "hydrocal is special compared to other plasters" and not "this hydrocal is special because it's better than boring plain normal hydrocal."
... I'm afraid so ...

mad gerald

G'day all,

... hmmmmmmm ... no one posted here since April ... ?

Well, this arrived on my desk today: The Weathering Magazine "Rust", 502 Abt. odorless turpentine, some 502 Abt. oil colors and additional Vallejo acrylic colours ...  8)

Cheers

Wesleybeks

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 21, 2012, 12:32:44 AM
Gerald;  Sweet! Now, I look forward to your newest concrete creations!

I only had a box of Japanese stuff sitting on my doorstep today. :-\  Hopefully it will clear things up.

Hi Marc

Do you order direct from Mr hobby or do you have another source that I could look at?

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

Wesley,

The last couple of orders were through sellers on Ebay, I think one ws out of Taiwan, and the other out of Singapore.  Chose them, because the price was better than here, and I could buy numerous cans, and they gave a somewhat consolidated shipping cost. Took 4 weeks to get...but all told still less than if I ordered it from a shop here.

There are a number of shops that sell it here online, that I will often buy a can from if/when I am placing an order for other items anyway.

M-Works

Andi Little

Well here's a quick post - and a few snatched pic's. Kind of looking for a bit of advice too, not the smart alecky kind, but some genuine honest advice.
You see - I've finally managed to purloin myself a Lathe, not a fancy all singing all dancing mega lathe but a rather old and a bit tatty "watchmakers" lathe. I love the size of it as it fits really well into my available space, doesn't have to go outside and will do most stuff I can imagine doing on it??
Done a bit of research online and it appears to be a "wartime or shortly thereafter" BTM "Geneva" style (don't actually know what that means) But it comes boxed with a fair assortment of accessories, most of which I don't understand or can't figure out how they work - it looks as though a few bits have gone walkabouts but most appears to be there?
There was a lot of other bits chucked in the box and .... well, you best have a look at the pic's and see what you think to my haul?

Here you go then .........

The "Haul".

The Box.

The basic Lathe on it's baseboard with motor.

Other assorted tools.

And a Dremel tool.

There is a great "mechanical coping saw" that I forgot to take a detailed pic of too - that looks pretty groovy.
Don't make me feel bad if this isn't the latest in tool fashion or it's not mega "the dogs dangleys" as I'm quite thrilled with my apparent recent good fortune - it pretty much is what I've been after for a long long time - and I don't think I was robbed either!

Would appreciate some positive opinions or advice on the usage of this kind of kit.

All the best ..........
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Well can't really comment on your questions Andi ........

But it looks as good as you described it, whose a lucky boy!
Gordon