• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help Required

Started by Barney, October 02, 2023, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Those tiny locos are filled to the brim with character!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Maybe a little off-topic, but here goes anyway:

Is there any reason to believe that patent drawings are to drawn to scale, and that they show a concrete application of the patent?

I would think that patent drawings are mainly made for showing functions. And when no scale is given, isn't it more likely that it is not a scale drawing of a concrete application?

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

According to the rule book of patents they are not normally to scale  - for a real boring read go to https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873878/WS0056_Patent_Factsheet_Drawings_Jan_2020.pdf - and the same ruling aplies to the US - FOR SOME UNKOWN REASON big legal battles have happened about this subject but to me its just boring so just take "a patent" drawing as a general layout of the idea"
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

In my relatively minor brush with patent attorneys I learnt that the trick is to be specific enough to be patentable and general enough to have the widest coverage.

Dimensioning a drawing would suggest the invention is specific to those dimensions/proportions and thus a similar product to different dimensions would not infringe, although the text might make it clear that any dimensions are illustrative rather than exclusive.  Practices have evolved over the years too.

So while an old patent drawing might not be relied on, if it's all you have, it's all you have.

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Just love it -your few words say it all "if its all you have - its all you have "
Thanks
    Barney
Stuart McPherson