• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HMS Victory 1:98

Started by WP Rayner, October 06, 2021, 08:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Ray -
I am loving your YouTube series!  You are such a careful and dedicated craftsman.
I learn something every time I watch, or am reminded of something I've forgotten.

One question... Why "Whisky Workbench"? Shouldn't it be "Whiskey"?
One more... Why use that name at all? Is there some hidden significance?

OK, that's all for now. Keep uop the inspiring work,
Carlo

WP Rayner

Thank you for the compliment Carlo. I'm pleased that you're finding the videos informative. That is the purpose of the channel. Making the videos is an added challenge that I'm not yet fully comfortable with, but have learned a lot in the past few months. There's a challenge to make them helpful and engaging without becoming too pedantic and boring.

The name Whisky Workbench was suggested by a good friend. We wanted a name that would have a bit of a catch to it as well as one that wasn't limited to a single topic. I do a lot of different work in the workshop: ship modelling, model railroad related projects, clock and watch restoration and repair, general woodworking, and 3D CGI rendering/animation. The general name gives me the freedom to do videos on any one of these disciplines.  And yes, there's often a glass of whisky close by when I finish working. According to my wife, she who must be obeyed, I'm much easier to live with if I imbibe on occasion. The "Whisky" spelling is the British and hence Canadian spelling, a nod to my heritage and preferred whisky, Scotch, though due to economics, there is more often a bottle of Jack Daniels in the cabinet. "Whiskey" is the U.S. and Irish spelling.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Design-HSB

Paul, thanks for showing and explaining in any case I have now subscribed to "Whisky Workbench".
I also liked whisky better like "whiskey" even if I haven't drunk something like that for years.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

Paul:
     If you are going to drink whiskey (note American spelling) treat your taste buds to a good one.  My first choice is Makers Mark (no commercial relationship).  My first choice in whisky is Lagavulin.  Life is too short to drink cheap booze.  Both are best straight or shared with close friends.  Your wife is smart, end your day with a "wee drop" and your relationship will last a long time.  I prefer a brandy sniffer for both because the nose is part of the experience.  Cheers!

WP Rayner

Quote from: Design-HSB on June 07, 2022, 07:01:24 AM
Paul, thanks for showing and explaining in any case I have now subscribed to "Whisky Workbench".
I also liked whisky better like "whiskey" even if I haven't drunk something like that for years.

Thank you for subscribing Helmut. It's gratifying to me that a modeller of your skills and abilities would subscribe to the channel.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

WP Rayner

Quote from: Lawton Maner on June 07, 2022, 08:00:04 AM
Paul:
     If you are going to drink whiskey (note American spelling) treat your taste buds to a good one.  My first choice is Makers Mark (no commercial relationship).  My first choice in whisky is Lagavulin.  Life is too short to drink cheap booze.  Both are best straight or shared with close friends.  Your wife is smart, end your day with a "wee drop" and your relationship will last a long time.  I prefer a brandy sniffer for both because the nose is part of the experience.  Cheers!

I agree with you Lawton. In fact my cabinet currently is stocked with Makers Mark Bourbon and Balvenie single malt Scotch. JD is my journeyman's drink, certainly not the best whisky, but it is within the realm of affordability here, at least for pensioners like us. All alcohol sales here are controlled by the provincial government and it is in no way cheap. Sticker shock at the LCBO is a regular occurrence, especially when, like us, you're used to alcohol prices in California. A case of regular production beer, i.e. Budweiser, will set you back $50.00. I don't drink beer, because at my age, you're only renting it. A 1140ml (1.2 qts) bottle of JD costs $49.35; a 1140ml bottle of Makers Mark is $62.00; a 750ml bottle of 12-year old Balvenie is $120.00 (a relatively inexpensive bottle of single malt Scotch); a 750ml bottle of 12-year-old Lagavulin is $200.10. If you're really flush, a 750ml bottle of 26-year-old Lagavulin will set you back $2995.00! Single malt Scotch has always been my preferred whisky and I've had many, many different bottles over the years. I never met one I didn't like, some are just more memorable than others... ;)
Paul

finescalerr

It is clear we should establish a new "department" on this website about modeling tonics. I suspect, however, that the more we sample each other's favorite, the sooner the posts will descend into meaningless drivel. -- ssuR

*hic*

Uh, -- Russ

*hic*  ... Like this one.

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on June 07, 2022, 10:50:52 AM
It is clear we should establish a new "department" on this website about modeling tonics. I suspect, however, that the more we sample each other's favorite, the sooner the posts will descend into meaningless drivel. -- ssuR

*hic*

Uh, -- Russ

*hic*  ... Like this one.

An excellent idea... of course, discussing the merits of good cheap whisky or other tonic is like discussing a good Barry Manilow album. You have to make certain allowances.
Paul

EZnKY

"All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon."

Having been born and raised is the global epicenter of bourbon production, I have to weigh in here.  I see a close affinity between enjoying whiskey and model making.  Both pursuits are about the experience, about placing value on each action, each choice, and each moment.  Drinking whiskey is about paying attention; what do you smell, what do you taste, how does it feel?  And making models - certainly to the level exhibited here - is also about paying attention.  Paying attention to texture and color, proportion and dimension. 

I can't imagine living a life of meaning without bourbon being part of it.  (Bourbon being the greatest of the whisk(e)ys, with a respectful tip of the hat to our cousins in the old country!)  The challenge with whiskey, as with model making, is controlling the urge to make it an obsession.  Case in point is the absolutely incredible price inflation in the bourbon market.  Bottles I used to be able to walk into any store and purchase for $35 to $50 are now being sold through lotteries for hundreds of dollars per bottle.  It's insane. 

I've managed my obsession by building a bourbon shelf that limits my inventory to about 50 bottles.  Once the shelf is full, I can't buy any more until some of the bottles are emptied!  I try to keep about ten bottles open at any time so I can choose a bourbon that matches my mood.  Such good stuff!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Eric, from what you have written I suspect your interest in fine bourbon could be why you haven't posted a photo of a new model for the past few years. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

There can be no such thing as an over indulgence in model building unless you get to the point where sleeping and eating become an interference.  A mild indulgence in good whisky/whiskey isn't an over the top problem, just keep it in moderation and do not mix it with modeling.  I am fortunate to live close to Washington, D.C. where there are no price controls on booze sales.  And, when traveling back and forth on work weekends at the East Broad Top have been known to restock the pantry. 

Since Summer is coming up fast, I now need to find a gin which is of the came quality as my choices in whisky and whiskey.  The English invention of the Gin and Tonic is a refreshing summer medical treatment for malaria, scurvy, and depression and is a great treat after mowing the lawn on a summer's afternoon.

WP Rayner

You are absolutely right Lawton. Moderation and balance are key in all things. I can't make a Gin recommendation for you. Gin is a banned substance in our house. Years ago and before we met, my wife, under the influence of Gin, was tossed out of Harry's Bar in Pismo Beach for decking and knocking out some dumbass who made an ill-advised and highly inappropriate remark. So, in the spirit of self-preservation, Gin is banned.
Paul

Lawton Maner

How do you survive summer heat?

Banning gin just because your wife served a dinner of whip ass to some idiot doesn't seem enough to ban it.  It does serve as a warning for you to behave though.

A woman who lived on the 4th floor of my dorm in 1974 always used the remark that she had an unidentified infection when she got inappropriate suggestions.  Then the fact that 85% of the male population of the dorm were Vietnam veterans who provided cover to the women who lived beside of us.  And, the occasional cowboy who woke up in a nearby gutter meant that the locals behaved themselves.  We mostly treated these women as our younger sisters and got along well with them.

Lawton Maner

BTW:

For those who like whiskey with a kick, there is a single barrel Maker's Mark which is small batch and comes from 1 barrel and isn't cut before bottling.  My current bottle is 111.6 proof.  Not something for the faint of heart.  A small shot at bedtime helps me sleep. 

WP Rayner

Quote from: Lawton Maner on June 08, 2022, 06:34:24 PM
     How do you survive summer heat?

Banning gin just because your wife served a dinner of whip ass to some idiot doesn't seem enough to ban it.  It does serve as a warning for you to behave though.

We are very fortunate to have geothermal central air in the house. Having lived in California we are used to high heat, but we can't tolerate the combination of high heat and high humidity that characterizes summer here, so the AC is a valuable asset.  As far as summer drinks go, I don't mind the gin ban, it's never been one of my preferred spirits. We do like to indulge in a sampling of craft-brewed ciders on the very rare occasions when it is comfortable enough (moderate temp, lower humidity, not raining, not quite a plague of bugs, neighbours not spreading manure) to sit outside and enjoy watching our neighbours with their horses and buggies go by, the slow pace of the traditional life around us.
Paul