• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

M.Cain & O.Bama Fish Oil & Fertilizer (FSM R. Saywer Kitbash)

Started by GreggW, October 14, 2008, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreggW

Quote from: finescalerr on October 15, 2008, 12:59:34 AM
Nice diorama. ... -- Russ
Hi Russ.  Thanks.  During these days any sense of humor is a good thing.  Another interesting detail on this diorama are the fish (in the back of the boat, the loading bucket and conveyor).  These were made from small seed pods from a weed I found.  I carefully removed them from the stems with tweezers, spray painted them grey, then apply some silver paint on one side.  They look quite good, especially in person.

Gregg

GreggW

Quote from: chester on October 15, 2008, 03:56:31 PM
Clever Gregg, and not a hint of which way the wind blows. Thanks and congrats on some very fine modeling too.
Thanks Chester.  Here is another shot to enjoy.

Gregg

marc_reusser

Nicely done, and a funny story to go with it.  I generally do not care for "Craftsman Structures", but I think you have done a neat job here, especially in the layout/configuration.

Thanks for posting the additional detail shots they really help show how much work you put into this project.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marklayton

Gregg -

What technique/material did you use to form the body of water.  Although somewhat glassy (air can't be that still with all this political hot air), it still looks pretty realistic.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

GreggW

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 16, 2008, 02:58:48 AM
Nicely done, and a funny story to go with it.  I generally do not care for "Craftsman Structures", but I think you have done a neat job here, especially in the layout/configuration.

Thanks for posting the additional detail shots they really help show how much work you put into this project.

Marc
Thanks Marc.  Jim and I appreciate your kind comments.  Here is another detail shot to enjoy.

Gregg

GreggW

Quote from: marklayton on October 16, 2008, 04:32:24 AM
Gregg -

What technique/material did you use to form the body of water.  Although somewhat glassy (air can't be that still with all this political hot air), it still looks pretty realistic.

Mark
Hi Mark.  The water is EnviroTex.  I have tried other products, but I like EnviroTex the best.  Although my intensions were to add ripples and waves to the water, I kept it glassy for two reasons.  First, I think the reflections are adding to the model.  Second, when I place this one on my layout it will be easier to fill the joints, pour another coat and blend in.  I will probably add the ripples and waves at that point.

Gregg

marklayton

Gregg -

Not familiar with that product, so just paid a visit to ETI's web site (http://www.eti-usa.com/index.html).  There are several products shown including Envirotex Lite pour-on finish, Easy Cast, and Clear Polyester Casting Resin.  Which one?

I agree with your observation about the reflections from the calm surface.  Really does make it seem wet.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.