• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

First attempt

Started by Carlo, March 21, 2012, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hi,
At risk of hearing laughter and derision, I present my first attempt at weathering with the hairspray technique.
This is 1" scale, and I used 3 coats of paint (orange-over-gray-over-rust), separated by hairspray. I think, for
one thing, I waited too long before scratching (6-8 hrs.). Second, I was too ambitious with layers. Finally, I
scratched so much that it all blended together. I welcome constructive comments and critique.
Carlo

JESTER

I'm no pro but the scratches on the base look to large for the size of the piece. Use something smaller for the scratches. Also, wouldn't the scratches be the other direction since things will slide onto and off of the dolly?

The corners of the tubes look nice! I tried the hairspray technique last weekend and only waited anout 10 minutes before I started to scratch off paint.

-

lab-dad

Sounds like you know the problems already.
I think you waited too long also.
And, you should have sealed each layer so as not to disturb it with subsequent ones.
In addition I find the wear/scratches too large as well.

I dont use hairspray but just use acrylic paint (model masters) over a solvent base (i.e. rust)
You could have done the grey primer and/or/over a rust in solvent and in the correct places.
Then use the acrylic as a top / color coat.
i wait no more than 15 minutes and use a brush and some isopropyl alcohol to "remove" the paint.
My fingers also work good to "wear" the paint away.

-Marty

finescalerr

Not bad, just not great. Is it possible to remove the paint and start again? You seem to have the general idea, just not enough experience to get the results you want. -- Russ