• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Bernhard

It's like good wine, storage makes the pieces better.

Bernhard

fspg2

@ Bernhard
I probably still have a few wine barrels stored here.  :)

Before I can continue with the assembly of the ladder and the upper auxiliary struts, a 2.5mm hole has to be drilled through the two 4.0mm x 8.0mm U-profiles of the conically converging cantilever.
To guide the drill at the correct angle, I milled a small jig from Pertinax.

Bohrschablone_Seilrolle_1 (fspg2)

It consists of two 3.0 mm thick half shells and a base that ensures vertical alignment on the drilling table.

Bohrschablone_Seilrolle_2 (fspg2)

When milling, the 2.0mm holes for the dowel pins were drilled first, followed by a centred groove with a depth of 1.25mm on each of the two half shells using a 2.5mm ball nose cutter. Finally, the outer contour was milled with a 1.5mm single tooth cutter in three passes, each 1.2mm deep  (speed 22000 rpm - feed 1000mm/min).

Bohrschablone_Seilrolle_3 (fspg2)

The two halves are aligned with 2.0 mm rivets and glued together with superglue.

Bohrschablone_Seilrolle_4 (fspg2)

Bohrschablone_Seilrolle_5 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

I love watching your models come together. -- Russ

Bill Gill

You always have a simple way to create a fixture that ensures parts will be correctly aligned and holes will be correct. It is satisfying to see.

fspg2

Hello Russ, hello Bill,
Thank you very much!

The sheave at the tip of the boom was the next part to work on.

Seilscheibe_01 (fspg2)

A drawing for two half-shells was reknitted for this...

Seilscheibe_02 (fspg2)

...and milled out of 1.5mm brass...

Seilscheibe_03 (fspg2)

... and both parts soldered together.

Seilscheibe_04 (fspg2)

An aluminum remnant was prepared on the lathe so that the pulley could be positioned precisely on it.

Seilscheibe_05 (fspg2)

An 1.5mm ball end mill produced the outer recess for the rope. The edges were slightly rounded with small files and fine sandpaper.

Seilscheibe_06 (fspg2)

The result, however, was scrap metal... What had happened?

Seilscheibe_07 (fspg2)

I had not pre-tinned the two half-shells, but only coated them with a (probably too diluted) soldering paste and pressed the parts onto the soldering pad with an old pair of pliers when soldering with the flame.
After washing off the "mud", the result looked okay.
There was a small "crack" during the last pass with the ball cutter... and I saw the gap.  :evil:

So I made a second attempt.
Why I didn't just take a 3.0mm brass sheet and machine it on both sides... I don't know ?

Seilscheibe_08 (fspg2)

A 2.5mm deep pocket was milled in MDF for a 3.0mm scrap piece of MS58. This gave me a plane support surface for the subsequent two-sided machining of the 68mm x 40mm piece.
Once the height had been measured, 2.0mm holes were drilled 6.0mm deep in order to achieve a precise fit for both sides using 2.0mm rivets (or pins).
In addition, 3.0mm holes were drilled to fix the brass plate with small screws for machining.

Seilscheibe_09 (fspg2)

(Front - sandblasted on the left - natural on the right)

After the front side was finished, the panel was turned vertically (right/left) and positioned precisely using the locating pins and screwed down again.
The back was given the same recesses (0.5mm + 0.75mm).
Finally, the outer contour was machined with the 2.0mm two-tooth cutter in three depths (successively 1.2mm - 2.4mm and 3.6mm .... Speed: 22000 rpm - feed rate: 300 mm/min).
Three small holding corners prevented slipping during milling.

Seilscheibe_10 (fspg2)

(backside)

The retaining bars were cut through with the fretsaw.
The same processing steps were then carried out as for the first attempt (turning to the final diameter and milling the recess with the 1.5 mm ball end mill.

Seilscheibe mit Kugelfräser (fspg2)

As the ball cutter was firmly clamped in the top slide (and was not turned by a small drilling machine), the main work was carried out by only one (here left) cutting edge.
For a symmetrical milling result, the pulley was machined from both the right and the left.

Seilscheibe_11 (fspg2)

The left-hand sheave is threatened with the same treatment.
The first sheave has already been burnished and placed on the crane tip as a test.

Seilscheibe_12 (fspg2)

Finally, a picture of the photo composition of the upper picture on the windowsill with sunlight.

Seilscheibe_13 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Always fascinating to see the way you do things.

Useful to now know the German for scrap metal too - a word I feel will be useful in my own modelling.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

If at first you don't succeed, try again. The result? Perfection. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating! And I really like the color of the finished sheave.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Hello everyone,
Next up is the substructure of the crane house.

Münzelkran Unterbau 04 (fspg2)

Several 6.0mm x 4.0mm U-profiles were provided with corresponding holes and recesses at the ends of the profiles. Four 1.0mm brass plates and eight supports (made of 3.0mm MS58) for the four rollers were also milled.

Münzelkran Unterbau 03 (fspg2)

Münzelkran Unterbau 02 (fspg2)

Münzelkran Unterbau 05 (fspg2)

Münzelkran Unterbau 06 (fspg2)

Here, the individual parts have already been loosely inserted into the crane housing from below.

Münzelkran Unterbau 07 (fspg2)

Pertinax gauges were milled as an assembly aid for precise alignment of the individual profiles.

Münzelkran Unterbau 09 (fspg2)

The next step is to drill holes in the eight supports and solder everything together.

Münzelkran Unterbau 10 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Ho-hum, another inspirational and impressive stage nears completion .... -- Russ

fspg2

Hello Russ,

there are still a few small parts to be made before the crane is finished.
The many small parts always require much more time than you might think.

The eight supports for the rollers (12.0mm x 8.35mm x 3.0mm) were inserted into a pocket milled in Pertinax and fixed tightly with two small pieces of wood. Two 1.0mm holes were then drilled and two corners milled at an angle.

Münzelkran  Unterbau_11 (fspg2)

Münzelkran  Unterbau_12 (fspg2)

Münzelkran  Unterbau_13 (fspg2)

The substructure is not soldered directly onto the 2.0 mm thick MS58 base plate of the crane housing. Neither the resistance soldering iron nor a 100 watt soldering iron would have produced a clean result. I would have generated enough heat with the flame, but would very likely have removed the already soldered and riveted metal strips.

A 0.5mm MS58 sheet now serves as an auxiliary floor. Grooves 0.25mm deep were milled for the U-profiles and everything was fixed and soldered with the help of the previously made Pertinax gauges and metal clamps.

Münzelkran Unterbau 14 (fspg2)

This also makes it a little easier to fit the small M1.0mm model screws, as the profiles are now freely accessible from all sides.
The four 1.0mm support plates for the wheel supports are first fitted with four 1.0mm screws with washers and nuts at the corners. A small wooden strip clamps the screw inserted from below with the tweezers. A small open-end wrench and a socket wrench then screw everything together.

Münzelkran Unterbau 15 (fspg2)

Without a headband magnifier, I would be at a loss here, especially as there are a few more screws waiting. 

Münzelkran Unterbau 16 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: fspg2 on April 13, 2024, 02:19:01 PMThe many small parts always require much more time than you might think.

That always seems to be the case no matter what material we use!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Perfect work again, Frithjof. I find the turning of the grooves in the pulleys particularly interesting. I need a lot of similar pulleys for my project.

Bernhard

fspg2

Merci
@Bernhard
There are many pulleys available from various suppliers, for example: click

or click

After I wrote the other day...
QuoteAs the ball cutter was firmly clamped in the top slide (and was not turned by a small drilling machine), the main work was carried out by only one (here left) cutting edge.

..I had already machined the second rope pulley a few days ago with my old Proxon milling machine.
I had clamped it crosswise in the Multifix quick-change system in a special holder with 43mm neck.

Seilscheibe_14 (fspg2)

The result looked better right from the start.

The last few days went by very quickly - but little was done. As already mentioned, the small parts require an enormous amount of time.

On the prototype, nuts with 20mm [size=85](21mm)[/size] threads have a height of 18.0mm [size=85](19.4mm)[/size].

Various suppliers offer brass model nuts with a high head and or flat head ...... However, both versions of the 1.0mm nut have the same height of 1.0mm.
After the first trial assembly, this height seemed too high to me. So I drilled fifteen 1.0mm holes in a 3.0mm MS58 remnant and inserted an M1.0mm bolt with a (too high) nut in each.

Two 0.8mm brass strips and 240 grit sandpaper were glued to the sides of a dressing board that had been built some time ago.

runter von der hohen Mutter 1 (fspg2)

The surface grinding was carried out with even pressure until the remaining piece scraped along the two lateral guides.

runter von der hohen Mutter 2 (fspg2)

ere again the comparison with 1.0mm and 0.8mm nuts:

runter von der hohen Mutter 3 (fspg2)

runter von der hohen Mutter 4 (fspg2)

Today I started on the four running wheels. These are guided on both sides by 2mm x 5mm x 2.5mm deep groove ball bearings. The diameter is 12.0mm with a tread width of 3.0mm. The total width with collar is 6.0mm.

Münzelkran Laufrad 01 (fspg2)

MS58 in the dimensions: 45.0mm x 40.0mm x 6.0mm, which was positioned in a milled pocket in the MDF material, serves as the base material.

Münzelkran Laufrad 02 (fspg2)

Various 2.0mm rivet pins were once again used for precise alignment on both sides, while small screws prevented wobbling during milling.

In the following photo, most of the fastening screws have already been removed.

Münzelkran Laufrad 03 (fspg2)

The milled outer diameter here is still 12.3 mm and will be brought to the final dimension of 12.0 mm on the lathe in the next step.

Time required with milling data creation and milling around 2.5 hours - costs significantly cheaper than 3D printing at shapeways (here around € 72.00 for delivery on May 14, 2024).
Frithjof