• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My first craftsman kit is in production!

Started by Craig, November 15, 2022, 05:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted but I've been very busy! Not only did we relocate from Minnesota to the UK, I have also started a craftsman kit business of my own -- and I've just released my very first kit as of November 14!

An HO scale kit titled ODDMUNN BROTHER'S MILL

There's plenty more information and photos (it's also where to order one) on my website just here: www.keepitrusty.com

Hope you all like it! Keen to hear your thoughts.

Craig

WP Rayner

WOW  :o  :o  You have been busy, that is an impressive kit, congratulations. And I can't begin to understand how you produced that and made such a monumental move. It's hard enough just moving down the street and around the corner. Wishing you all the best in your new home!
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Mobilgas

Nice  ;D  what would the cost be SHIPPED to the US?
Craig

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Craig

Quote from: WP Rayner on November 15, 2022, 06:51:11 AMWOW  :o  :o  You have been busy, that is an impressive kit, congratulations. And I can't begin to understand how you produced that and made such a monumental move. It's hard enough just moving down the street and around the corner. Wishing you all the best in your new home!

Thank you, Paul, for your very kind words. It really has been a full year, especially considering this hasn't been the "day job", too. I've loved every second of producing this kit, though, and I hope it continues to sell so I can continue to make them. We will see.

Quote from: Mobilgas on November 15, 2022, 08:50:34 AMNice  ;D  what would the cost be SHIPPED to the US?

US shipping is $24, all in. No tax and no custom fees! :)

Quote from: Barney on November 15, 2022, 09:00:08 AMVery nice with a lot going on
Barney

Thanks, Barney. I really pushed the boat out with the detail on this one so people are spoiled for choice with stories they can weave throughout. Again, being inspired by Fine Scale Miniatures, I didn't want to skimp on the details like George never did!

Quote from: finescalerr on November 15, 2022, 12:04:12 PMAdequate. -- Russ

Thanks, Russ. A guy couldn't ask for more! ;)

Craig

I wanted to share with you all some of the background of this kit.

This fictional story of the brothers taking over the mill and introducing steam was a scene born from my own reality. As a newcomer to kit design and manufacture, I found myself bringing a new technology, too: 3D-printing. The printers available today produce details that are UNRIVALED in any other medium and therefore, over the course of hundreds and hundreds of hours, every single detail in this kit has been researched, designed and 3D printed bringing a whole new level of detail for HO. There's even a woven texture in the grain sacks!

Initially inspired by George Sellios' Oatman's Mercantile (that's where "Oddmunn" came from), I originally set out to create a mercantile of my own. This adventure quickly expanded into designing an entire mill, and then an entire branchline industry. Now all that remains of that original inspiration is the false storefront — and the pigeons! Yes, I made my own 3D pigeons!

Nevertheless, my aim with Oddmunn Brother's Mill remains: to bring back some of that whimsy, charm, color and character I dearly miss from George's line of Fine Scale Miniatures kits.

If folks are interested, I'd love to walk through some of my process in creating the diorama.

shropshire lad

CRAIG
  Once again Russ has been effusive with his praise and barely contained excitement for your new kit , and I expect an order for one coming from the West Coast any day now .

You certainly seem to have put a lot of effort into producing this kit and the results look pretty good . Though, I can't help wondering , now that you have moved back to Blighty , how many sales you will get on this side of the Pond . If you can keep to your quoted shipping price to the US then that may not matter.

Who's figures did you use, and did you paint them yourself ? Or did you use the services of one Dan Evason ?

I am hoping to get to Warley ( assuming I get a day release from my position in the corner) on the 27th ,so shall come by and say "hi" and take a closer look at your model . I am afraid it is in the wrong scale and continent for me these days , but I shall be interested to see it never the less .

Nick

Bernhard

This is a great kit, Craig. Clearly a lot of research and attention to detail went into it. Too bad I don't do anything in H0 anymore, or I probably would have ordered it right away. But of course I'm interested in more details on the creation.

Bernhard

Craig

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 16, 2022, 11:42:21 AMCRAIG
  Once again Russ has been effusive with his praise and barely contained excitement for your new kit , and I expect an order for one coming from the West Coast any day now .

You certainly seem to have put a lot of effort into producing this kit and the results look pretty good . Though, I can't help wondering , now that you have moved back to Blighty , how many sales you will get on this side of the Pond . If you can keep to your quoted shipping price to the US then that may not matter.

Who's figures did you use, and did you paint them yourself ? Or did you use the services of one Dan Evason ?

I am hoping to get to Warley ( assuming I get a day release from my position in the corner) on the 27th ,so shall come by and say "hi" and take a closer look at your model . I am afraid it is in the wrong scale and continent for me these days , but I shall be interested to see it never the less .

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I'm not anticipating a number of sales here in the UK, and that's certainly why I've set up a shipping deal to the US that allows me to ship this big/heavy kit for only $24.00.

The figures were custom-made by myself and MODELU, exclusively for the kit :)

I would love to meet you at Warley. Please do stop by if you are there, I'll be near the double decker bus!

Quote from: Bernhard on November 16, 2022, 01:50:45 PMThis is a great kit, Craig. Clearly a lot of research and attention to detail went into it. Too bad I don't do anything in H0 anymore, or I probably would have ordered it right away. But of course I'm interested in more details on the creation.

Bernhard

Thanks, Bernhard! I will be posting more details about the process soon.

Bernd

Hey Craig,

Great seeing you here. That is one lovely kit.

BTW, I still haven't used the printer yet. To involved with my CNC machines and not enough modeling time.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Mobilgas

I think it looks 10x better than anything Sierra West has done ;D  8)
Craig

Ray Dunakin

Wow!! What a gorgeous model, and an impressive kit!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mobilgas on November 17, 2022, 03:59:55 PMI think it looks 10x better than anything Sierra West has done ;D  8)

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions , I suppose . Even in Merkinland .

Les Tindall

Look forward to meeting you at the Warley Show next Saturday and seeing to diorama "in the flesh". Looks great!