• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Modellers At Work / Re: Rewanui - a 1940 West Coas...
Last post by Peter_T1958 - March 11, 2024, 03:20:58 AM
Hi Lawrence

If I understood correctly, this is a resin part, not a brass one! If so, it seems to me, you have some small and smallest diameters there, e.g. the spokes of the handwheels.
At my current work I had tried not to go smaller then 0.5 mm at parts that are not connected to a wall etc. as most of such parts had broken away while diconnecting them from the supports.
Are you able to print smaller then 0.5mm?

Cheers, Peter

Last post by Lawrence@NZFinescale - March 10, 2024, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: finescalerr on March 10, 2024, 09:13:07 PMI doubt anyone could do better in that scale. -- Russ

Maybe, but I'll keep trying.

Last post by finescalerr - March 10, 2024, 09:13:07 PM
I doubt anyone could do better in that scale. -- Russ
Modellers At Work / Re: Not actually a Union Gas E...
Last post by finescalerr - March 10, 2024, 09:02:16 PM
Ever since I lost my cotton pickin' mind I feel great! -- Russ
Last post by Lawrence@NZFinescale - March 10, 2024, 08:38:41 PM
Back to modelling West Coast (NZ) things...

As is often the case a bit of distraction has come along.  We377 has featured here before, but I really need We198 as well.  These projects take time though and some things need to be prepared, sent away or otherwise gestated.  Hence some preparatory work for a build some way in the future. Some of the castings appeared in another thread, but I've also been working on resin prints for the cab.

The We firebox is a bit of a challenge as I have not unearthed photos and exact drawings have not emerged.  So this is based on standard practice, interpolation of drawings that are to hand and some sketches from a gentlemen who used to drive them back in the day.  Most likely it is not entirely accurate, but should be fairly close to.  I'm not too worried as it is tucked away largely out of view.

The CAD model here is a slightly earlier version than the print.  The print isn't perfect either and I've made a few changes, but I wanted to use some rejects to play around with some painting ideas.  The firebox diameter is around 23mm (less than 1"), so it isn't very big. I find actually seeing the thing, let alone getting a brush into all the crannies, can be quite a challenge.

Many of the steam pipes were lagged with asbestos string.  I mixed a generous amount of talc into the acrylic paint to make something that looks a little softer than unlagged finish.  This worked quite well, but it's a bit hard to manage and next time I'll do it earlier in the sequence to make correcting any mishaps a little easier.

There are things to improve but, as a test piece, I've invested enough in to it.

Last post by Barney - March 10, 2024, 02:32:21 PM
Are you feeling  OK Russ or is it an age thing !!!!!
Barney
Last post by finescalerr - March 10, 2024, 02:05:50 PM
In the background of the above photo a tank has taken aim at the critter. Perhaps its new colo(u)r will be "Exploded Green". Uh-oh .... -- Russ
Last post by Barney - March 10, 2024, 01:53:07 PM
Colour I was thinking on the lines of a GREEN I mean what colours are small petrol / diesel critters
Even with a Zorin motif if is good enough for Mr Bond and his friends that's good enough for Mr Barney
The white bit has now gone and Maxes Hairs that no one noticed  The engine is now a nice shade of undercoat grey HUMBROL OF CORSE
Last post by shropshire lad - March 10, 2024, 01:58:24 AM
Quote from: finescalerr on March 10, 2024, 12:28:23 AMI thought everything looked just fine until you admitted your unpardonable sin of placing that white bit on the red valve covers. Unfortunately you'll have to go back and rebuild the whole thing in desert camouflage colo(u)rs. -- ssuR

Don't encourage him, he already paints all his models in Humbrol Olive Drab , or is it Khaki. We don't want him to introduce another colour as camouflage .
Last post by finescalerr - March 10, 2024, 12:28:23 AM
I thought everything looked just fine until you admitted your unpardonable sin of placing that white bit on the red valve covers. Unfortunately you'll have to go back and rebuild the whole thing in desert camouflage colo(u)rs. -- ssuR