• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Resistance soldering unit?

Started by Ray Dunakin, April 22, 2015, 08:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I'm considering getting one of these gadgets. Can someone recommend a good one for hobby use, available in the USA?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Ray,
I bought mine from Micro Mark.http://www.micromark.com/microlux-resistance-soldering-unit-with-single-electrode-handpiece,10952.html

$200 is a lot of money to me, even for a tool but I do not regret the investment.
I consider all my tools an investment.

I absolutely LOVE it!
I was worried it would be a cheapo but have been able to do anything I wanted to.
There is no way i could have built the Shay without it.
I give it 5 stars.

Make sure you get a package of the tips when you order the tool.

I currently own 5 different soldering tools now!
Any questions just ask!

-Marty

mabloodhound

I bought the same one as Marty.  My wife does jewelry work and wanted something for quick soldering of silver parts. 
Works perfectly for her and now when I need to solder something I have the unit.....just haven't had the need to use it yet. ;D
It is worth the money for a hobbyist on a limited income like me.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

5thwheel

I have an American Beauty 250 w.  Have had it for about 18 years.  I keep forgetting I have it because I am fairly proficient with my little soldering iron. Back then it was around $500 for it.  It has been well worth the price for me.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

Thanks guys!

Marty, what kind of soldering paste do you use?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

Ray
if you have access to a government surplus store, sometimes they have used units, now sometimes they have had a full life, but because they have few moving parts and sometimes all they need are new soldering elements or a small fix of the soldering tweezers, and your just going to use them sparingly you can get them for cheep! I got mine about 10 years ago for $35 and its a 500 Watt unit and it works great, so look around most are made by American Beauty and parts are available.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Dennis McCarthy

I have one of the PBL units, excellent but overpriced.

For an economy model here's a link to a DIY unit cobbled up from a battery charger: http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/models/solderer.pdf

Cheers,
Dennis

SandiaPaul

I am not certain but I think the PBL units are rebranded American Beauty units, if you look at the PBL ads from many years ago they units look the same at the AB units from that time period. PBL does have some nice solders that work well, with resistance or reg irons.

Paul
Paul