• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Faking fancy hinges -- suggestions?

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 16, 2012, 11:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

The structure I'm currently modeling has two rusty old hinges (actually, one and a half hinges), as seen in this photo:

I'm trying to figure out how to represent them in 1/24th scale. At that scale, the larger, complete hinge would be about 3/32" across. Fortunately there is no need for them to actually work.

I've tried embossing the design into thin brass, which shows promise, but cutting out something that small is turning out to be problematic.

Anyone have any suggestions for replicating these details in 1/24th?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Champagne bottle neck wrapper embossed? ???
May be make a styrene "pattern" to emboss over?
Wonder if Dave could help?
-Marty

Seattle Dave

Well, since they do not need to work, they are just another shape.  I would try milling or engraving (or even building it up from more basic shapes) it into the end of a rod - probably brass - and then "stamping" it into a piece of foil.  You could then fill the impression with white glue or the like and apply as needed.

Dave
Dave VanderWal

Lightengine

Over here in Blighty we get boxes of continental boxes.  Having had to suffer the indignity of eating the contents I have managed to rescue the quite small hinges used.  They are pretty small and held in place in the wood by small teeth at 90° to the face.
In the cause of US/ British relations I would be prepared to have to eat 20 liquer chocolates to be able to send 2 hinges across the pond.

eTraxx

Why not get Vector Cut to make you some? He has provided custom work for people on this forum before.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Why doesn't Dave post here anymore? -- Russ

Seattle Dave

Dave VanderWal

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"