• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The SketchUp Plymouth DL

Started by finescalerr, May 14, 2015, 12:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Thanks Marc!
Thats why Unc wanted to do this project "on line" so we could all learn.
I need to look into the "fillet" tool as i would like a fillet on all the edges.

No big deal to redo the parts, I can do a sideframe in about an hour now!

-Marty

TRAINS1941

Looks great so far Marty.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Franck Tavernier

Hi Marty, Russ,

Is it a 7 or 8 ton model? I'm working on a freelance gas loco in 1:35 scale, inspired by the RLD 3.3 ton :

Do you think that it would be possible to print it in 1:35?

Franck

finescalerr

Ours is an 8 ton model, Franck. By the way, I think Chuck has drawn a Plymouth similar in appearance to the loco you posted.

As for printing, as I drew the loco I realized it has many parts too small or thin to print in 1:32 (or 1:35). That is why we have started this thread -- to learn what we can print, what we must scratchbuild, and what we must modify.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Mine was a different freelanced design, but Bill Gould has some gorgeous plans for this (or a similar) loco to the one in Francks plan:

http://www.gouldstudios.com/loco_PlymouthGas.html

If I could render like Bill or Wayne Rayner, I would probably give up real models altogether.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Franck Tavernier

Chuck, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy the 3D drawing from Gould Studio...

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/gas-mechanical-contractor-s-locomotive-3d-obj/542868

Franck

finescalerr

If I could render like that I'd probably stop building, too. Bill's weathered rendering isn't quite up to the unweathered version but the work is still impressive. -- Russ

lab-dad

You cant play with renderings.
It's much more satisfying to see an idea move and function.

Marty - still not sold on this 3d stuff....

Frederic Testard

I agree, Marty. That becomes a totally different game.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Well, better, worse, or equal, I still intend to create an actual model from my drawing. Two, actually, because SketchUp has frustrated Marty and he has assigned me the job of creating the kits. I hope to talk to Marty over the weekend about how to break the thing into practical subassemblies and then, when my drawings get all messed up, ask you guys for help! -- Russ

marc_reusser

Side-frames for 1/32 (wall thickness are prototype 1"...which scales out to somewhere between .025 and .030")
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

A basic render of Russ' SU file before the interior side-frame changes. The render really shows what a great job Russ did in the drafting/modeling of the loco.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Multi-part frame approach.

I would probably go so far as to omit the frame assembly bolts from the printing file, and then just add them with the proper NBW castings after.

M-Works

lab-dad

Those look amazing;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Did you use Russ' original files to start with or start over?
What plug in did you use for the rendering?
Please tell us more!
Are they ready for printing?
Could they be scaled up to 1/16th?

Only suggestion would be to make the inside support for the axle/bearings as thick as the horse shoe shaped projection - just for strength but that is just being picky and over engineering!

-Marty

Mr Potato Head

Russ
when your complete I'd love a copy and or please order me one from shapeways  ;D ;D ;D
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho