• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48(On30) Brass 0-6-0

Started by lab-dad, April 25, 2010, 12:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I purchased on of these brass and cast metal kits that uses a Bachmann HO 0-6-0 mechanizim.
I used the etchings that make the cab and saddle tank but will not be using the cast metal details.
I have some PSC details I may use and have been building the others from scratch.
Obviously these are "in progress" shots

-Marty

Tom Neeson

That's really neat Marty, who makes the conversion kit?

Err...shouldn't have asked, my loco to freight car ratio right now is 6:0.
No Scribed Siding!

finescalerr

Nice work so far. How are you going to get the domes to fit the curvature of the tank? -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

I have always wanted one of these kits, but he made them for HO mechanisms, and I have a bunch of On30 stuff, do I really need the kit if I have to change out the domes, and ????? Would it be easier to scratch it yourself, or do I need the major parts?
Gil
Ps I like all your machine work!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

Unc,
The dome bases have been troubling me for some time, I just avoided it until I had to come up with a solution.
I ordered a fly cutter from Sherline this morning, it is small enough to do the .750 radius.
I'll need to make a jig to hold the dome horizontally in the mill.
I hope it works.
If it does I may make the sand domes.

Gil,
The tank and cab etchings are pretty important and would be time consuming to do.
They fold up nice, even though the saddle tank is about .020" too short.
Placing the running board laminations all on top of the tank edge would solve that.
I will likely do one of the side tank engines next year.
Thanks for the compliments!

Boy having CAD on the Sherline would sure make duplicates of everything a lot easier!
Guess all my pieces are "one of a kind!"

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Very nice indeed. Your machining skills are becoming more evident with every new build.  Excellent my friend.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Mr Potato Head

Not! "One of a kind"
ONE-OFF'S
There more valuable that way!
Hey they have that TV show "Pimp my Ride" or "Overhauling"
You could start your own Cable series!
"Pimp My Narrow Gauge Locomotive"

Doesn't quite have the same catchy ring but it will catch on!

Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Philip Smith

Marty....Looks to be a very involved project ! Does the fly cutter profile match the radius of the boiler. I'd like to see a quick SBS if possible. 

Philip

RoughboyModelworks

Marty:

The fly cutter is the best way to cut the radius, just be certain to use shallow cuts. The cutting blade should be adjustable so you can fine tune the radius of the cut. The biggest challenge will be set up, making certain that the dome is exactly 90° to the axis of the cutter and that your z-axis is correctly aligned so that the dome will sit 90° to the boiler and along the center line. If you need to fine tune the radius after milling, turn a wood block to the same diameter as the boiler, less the thickness of a piece of emery paper. Then simply work the dome over the sanding form until you get the perfect fit on the boiler.

Paul

lab-dad

Thanks Paul,
That was the plan.
I intend to make a jig to hold the dome parallel, then just a matter of centering up the mill head and fly cutting.
Since there seems to be some interest I will try and remember to take a picture of the set up while cutting.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Nice work so far. You really are mastering that brass. Look forward to your progress.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Philip Smith

Quote from: Roughboy on April 27, 2010, 08:28:27 AM
Marty:

The fly cutter is the best way to cut the radius, just be certain to use shallow cuts. The cutting blade should be adjustable so you can fine tune the radius of the cut. The biggest challenge will be set up, making certain that the dome is exactly 90° to the axis of the cutter and that your z-axis is correctly aligned so that the dome will sit 90° to the boiler and along the center line. If you need to fine tune the radius after milling, turn a wood block to the same diameter as the boiler, less the thickness of a piece of emery paper. Then simply work the dome over the sanding form until you get the perfect fit on the boiler.

Paul

Good enough for me. transmission received!

Phil

lucas gargoloff

Looks like you have something to have fun!! Nice models at the kitchen Marty!
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

lab-dad

Thanks again guys!
I got the foot boards soldered to the pilots last night....:(
Oh well better luck next time, I think I filled the swear jar doing it!

Marc! I thought you hated Porters! awwww shucks!  ??? ;D ::)

lab-dad

Well the flycutter came yesterday! (ordered from Sherline Sunday night!) ;D
So I set up to cut the radius on the steam dome.

First off;
How to set the cutter to make a .750" radius cut? (1.5" diameter)???
I thought about a dial indicator, but how to "read" the backside?
So I checked with my caliper and set it a little smaller.
Then I put a scrap in the vise and made some test cuts, eventually I snuck up to a diameter of 1.495"
I had to trim some of the back of the cutter so it wouldn't hit the workpiece.
more in a sec.
-Marty