• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 D&RGW Box Car

Started by Tom Neeson, March 28, 2010, 10:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas gargoloff

This is what I call really scratch!! Keep showing your progress!
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

Tom Neeson

Hey thanks Lucas, your boxcar is looking sharp too! Mine will also be On30.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

An update, adding the needle beams and truss rods.

I built up the needle beams from strips of styrene, to avoid having to cut square holes and make notches.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

Locating a needle beam, with queenposts added:
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

I made a jig to solder the turnbuckles to the truss rods, worked really well.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

Here are the truss rods set in place...and another pic with them bent to shape. Man, was I surprised at how much trouble it was to get the truss bent to proper shape, they are close, but not perfect.

I'm also getting concerned that the inner truss rods will have to be modified to allow for the trucks to swivel, I'd like to run this at less than 60" radius.

Thanks for looking, Tom
No Scribed Siding!

finescalerr

You left out the really hard part: How you bent the truss rods. In all other respects, substantially more than satisfactory. -- Russ

JohnP

Forget running this beauty, put the right trucks on it and display on the mantle sitting on a mirror. Very nice work.

Where did you get the nice turnbuckles?

John
John Palecki

Tom Neeson

Thanks Russ,
I bent the truss with some pliers and a template I drew. Problem is I drew the template based on the Tomalco dwgs, not the model, so they didn't fit too well. Then I spent a lot time straightening, bending, rebending, etc...lesson learned there.

Thank you John,
Yes, the thought crossed my mind to display it so the underframe could be seen, but I would like to run it. Especially since this is the first piece of rolling stock I've built in this scale.

The turnbuckles are old Grandt Line parts I got off ebay.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

I started working on the car body before finishing the underframe, I was close to losing interest in this thing altogether. The body is built up of 0.040" thk styrene.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

Then the siding was added with 'HO' scale 2x6's, which work out pretty close to 'O' scale 1x3's. I couldn't figure out the exact correct size to use, but this looks right to me. Each board received a four step process:
1. Swipe with coarse sanding stick.
2. Bevel edges with an X-Acto blade.
3. Add texture with wire brush "Eurotool" from MicroMark. (Thanks Marc, I bought one seconds after you suggested it, works amazing)
4. Rubbed the piece with heavy brown paper, to remove the fuzzies. A great tip from Dallas M., works terrific on styrene too!!
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

And a close up of the texture on the boards. Next stop...Nail Holes!!!
No Scribed Siding!

Malachi Constant

Looking good there Tom .... and kudos for not running the wire straight thru the turnbuckles ... I hate it when that happens!

Since you mentioned the scratch brush and ebay ... do a search for "scratch brush" and you'll find a set that includes the steel brush, a brass brush and a fiberglass brush ... and a refill for each ... and with shipping from the UK, the set was less than the single brush from Micro-Mark.

Reason I mention it is that having the softer brushes is also good for (a) clean-up after using the steel brush and (b) adding textures in softer material.

And, I'm a long-time fan of building in styrene, so glad to see a "real" boxcar being built in fake wood!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Tom Neeson

Thank you Dallas!

I am really liking working with styrene, I had planned to build this and a few other cars out of wood, even bought the wood. But I'm finding the plastic easier to work with and actually looks better too.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Malachi Constant

Tom --

I started scratchbuilding in styrene many years ago, cuz I was in N scale and (a) it was real hard to get decent stripwood in suitable sizes and (b) the fuzz was often bigger than the item being modeled! 

Recently built a fake gallows turntable using styrene ... "fake" cuz it just covers an Atlas TT mech ... and, of course, fake plastic wood.

One of the really cool features of working in styrene is that you can create all sorts of fancy joinery by laminating strips before distressing ... so dados, lap joints, etc, etc.

Here's the fake turntable finished:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27937&whichpage=11

And this page shows how the gallows assembly was mortised into the deck assembly without any actual millwork ... just planning ahead and laminating pieces the right way:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27937&whichpage=4

Just mentioned that, cuz sometimes you want something much stronger than a butt joint (yeah, I know, jokes to follow) ... and with styrene you can fake the millwork and get really strong joints, plus the advantages of the solvent assembly.

Looking forward to more fake boxcar assembly!  ;D :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com