• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 D&RGW Box Car

Started by Tom Neeson, March 28, 2010, 10:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Neeson

Hi Guys,

I'm building a box car with Evergreen styrene and Grandt detail parts. It's your standard issue D&RGW 3000 series box car. Here is a pic of the underframe.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

And here is a closeup of the center sill splice.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

And here is the frame flipped over. I'm a little further along, will post more pics soon.

Thanks for looking,
Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Tom Neeson

Thanks Ray,

Nice to hear from another late night modeler,

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

marc_reusser

Really nice and clean work Tom. Really shows on areas like the sill splices, and the laps/ joints of the cross pieces.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Wow....that center sill splice is a great touch.  Wonderful attention to detail, which
no doubt will be carried through on the top end.  Beautiful job so far.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

lab-dad

Really cool!
I love working with styrene.
I am curious though;
Why would they build a frame with a splice? I know there were timbers long enough.
-Marty

Chuck Doan

Nice splice! I haven't seen anyone do that before.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Tom Neeson

Thanks for the good words guys!

I'm also building a train station (first model in 1:48 scale), have been at it for about 6 months and it's about 30% complete. Looking at it I figured it could be a good solid year before it is complete. So I thought I would build a boxcar as a quick diversion. Should only take a couple weeks, once I had all the materials, right? WRONG! Alot more work than I first thought.

Here is a shot of how I laid out the center sill splice, a template is attached to a piece of 0.020" x 0.187" styrene with removable double sided tape:
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

The part is trimmed out and glued to the core of the center sill, made up of two styrene strips.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

Then the opposing ends are trimmed in a similar fashion, glued on, top pieces added, wait for glue to dry, sand to blend it all together, drill holes, add NBWs, blah blah blah...

Here's another shot of the splice. Next up, needle beams and the floor. Thanks aqain for your comments!

Oh, and Marty, I really don't know the reasoning for the splice, but my guess would be that it could be removed if they needed to replace a coupler or bolster or something.
No Scribed Siding!

Tom Neeson

O...M...G...

On closer inspection, my super cool splice is upside down and backwards...

shhh...don't tell nobody  :-[

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

lab-dad

Here i fixed it for you!
-Marty

finescalerr

Marty! To the corner! (And I don't mean a virtual Photoshop corner, either!) -- Russ