• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I really like the look of those little electric shunt locos. Very funky and unusual.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Thanks Ray.

Now back to making the last parts for the trucks.
First I have to make four taverses, in which two of the trucks are pendulum-mounted.

Hulett 0062.JPG

Hulett 0063.JPG

Hulett 0064.JPG

Hulett 0065.JPG   

Bernhard

And with that, I can finally assemble the first chassis for a test run.

Hulett 0066.JPG

Bernhard

The last parts to be made are the cardan joints.
The center parts are pre-turned first.

Hulett 0067.JPG

Then it's off to the CNC milling machine for the milling of the outer contour.

Hulett 0068.JPG

This is what the semi-finished parts look like.

Hulett 0069.JPG

Then they are slit ...

Hulett 070.JPG   

Bernhard

... and finally drilled.

Hulett 0071.JPG

And these are the necessary parts for a cardan joint.

Hulett 0072.JPG 

Bernhard

For priming and painting the parts, I use industrial paints this time, considering the large surfaces on the model.

Hulett 0073.JPG

The primer contains solvents. It can be applied very well with the airbrush after dilution and adheres well to the glass bead blasted surfaces.

Hulett 0074.JPG

I chose RAL 7046 Telegrey matt as the top coat. It is not easy to clearly identify the colour of the Huletts on the few colour photos available. However, it was certainly a dark grey on Whiskey Island. The paint is water-based and apparently quite finely pigmented, it covers well.
The front two parts have already been slightly weathered once, which gives them a more natural look right away.

Hulett 0075.JPG

Now all parts of the first assembly are ready for mounting.

Bernhard 

finescalerr

Hauk

I might repeat myself, but this is literally next level stuff. In fact, I doubt there is a level above this, but if there is anywhere I will be proven wrong, it is on this forum.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Lawton Maner

The next level would have a working internal combustion engine powering the truck providing maintenance to the finished ore unloader.

Stuart

Amazing, simply amazing! --- Stuart

clipart1859649.png

Bernhard

Thanks Russ, Hauk, Lawton and Stuart.

So that's all the parts for a driven trucks now.

Hulett 0076.JPG

I actually need a small press to press the wheels onto the axles. Since I don't have one, I have to use the quill of the milling machine for this purposes.

Hulett 0077.JPG

With this, I can quickly put the first truck on the wheels.

Hulett 0078.JPG

Then the complete drive shaft is attached.

Hulett 0079.JPG   

Bernhard

Unfortunately things go wrong sometimes. As you can see in the sectional drawing, the axle is supported by two small ball bearings.

Hulett 0080.JPG

During the assembly I forgot the lower bearing of one of the drive shafts. For the sake of simplicity I did not pinned the bevel gear and the cardan joint to the axle as drawn, but glued them on. With Loctite 648 high strength. Glues absolutely bomb-proof, even when it's not supposed to!

That was not good at all! The glue is temperature resistant up to 175 °C. To get the whole thing apart again, I had to heat one of the glued joints to about 200 °C. So I hung the cardan joint in a glass of water to dissipate the unwanted heat.

Hulett 0081.JPG

Then I used the gas burner to heat up the axle and the bevel gear mercilessly.
And it actually worked. I was able to knock the axle out of the bevel wheel. And except for the upper bearing, which I replaced to be on the safe side, I was able to reuse all the parts. Even the paintwork survived the procedure.

Now I just have to mount the intermediate shaft with the crown wheel and the pinion.

Hulett 0082.JPG
Hulett 0083.JPG   

Bernhard

These are the parts for one of the non-driven trucks.

Hulett 0084.JPG

Before the wheels can be mounted, the electric pickups have to be attached to the underside.

Hulett 0085.JPG 

Bernhard

And these are the finished trucks.

Hulett 0086.JPG

Hulett 0087.JPG

Hulett 0088.JPG

Hulett 0089.JPG

This assembly consists of about 670 parts and weighs 2.3 kg.

The first raw material for the next assembly is already cut. So it will continue soon, stay tuned!

Bernhard   

finescalerr