• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

To give you an idea of the task: I would have to install somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 rivets on the front tower alone. However, the rivet pattern would still be very simplified.

Bernhard

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bernhard

What I'm really trying to say is that I'm now at the youthful age of 72. I have to think about how much time I can invest in which details if I still want to finish the project. I expect the construction to take another three to four years.

Bernhard

SandiaPaul

Not to be a smart ass here but with all the time spent thinking about these rivets you could have made a good start on them  ;D  The embossing technique I showed pictures of goes really fast.

What about the pounce wheel technique? Here is a video showing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsYzfihI4tw

Also another idea...if there is some duplication how about making one "rivet plate" and then making a silicone mold and casting copies. A very thin plate that you would lay in the places where you need them. And as others have suggested 3D printing seems like a really good way to go.

Paul

finescalerr

You are an exceptional modeler. I'd like to see you include the rivets. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

If you do all of the prep work now, you can sit in the sun at the retirement center for your declining years finishing the rivets.  The rhythm of working the shaping of them by hand will be soothing and keep you from being a threat to the other residents.   

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Lawton Maner on April 15, 2023, 07:55:43 AMIf you do all of the prep work now, you can sit in the sun at the retirement center for your declining years finishing the rivets.  The rhythm of working the shaping of them by hand will be soothing and keep you from being a threat to the other residents.   

When they see this they'll find a nice comfortable straight jacket for you!!

Only because they have no idea what you're doing.

That being said I would go with the rivets. After all it's a one in a lifetime project!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bernhard

Thanks Paul, Russ, Lawton and Jerry. Ok, the retirement center consideration was now the ultimate argument! I'll do it. Now I just need to revise all the drawings and think carefully about which method to use in which places.
Let's get to work!

Bernhard

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Peer pressure - the irresistible force :-)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Bernhard on April 15, 2023, 12:08:37 PMThanks Paul, Russ, Lawton and Jerry. Ok, the retirement center consideration was now the ultimate argument! I'll do it. Now I just need to revise all the drawings and think carefully about which method to use in which places.
Let's get to work!

Bernhard

That's the spirit!!  :)
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

nk

Repeat after me..."Count the rivets"

This is amazing work, just amazing, and you would be doing yourself and the legacy of your modelling a disservice by taking a shortcut. If the rest of the model weren't at this high-table-of-the-gods level, I would encourage you to give an impression of the pattern.

It will feel so good once its over...like hitting your head against a wall!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Bernhard

Thanks Lawrence, Jerry and Narayan.
After the question of the rivets is settled, I go back to work.

Front and rear tower

First, let's have a look at the prototype again.
Unfortunately there are no good photos of the front tower. The rear tower, on the other hand, can be seen well in the following photo.

Hulett 0091.jpg
(Photo: Library of Congress)

On these two pictures of the dismantled machines on Whiskey Island you can see the rear tower on the left and the front tower on the right.

Hulett 0092.jpg

Hulett 0093.jpg 
(Photos: cleveland.com)

I have only found one original drawing of the front and one of the rear tower.

Hulett 0094.jpg
(Drawing: Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Co.)

Unfortunately the drawings only show the upper part of the towers, and judging by the shape they do not belong to the machines on Whiskey Island.

Bernhard

For the construction I therefore have to refer to Mike Rabbitt's sketches.

Hulett 0095.JPG

Hulett 0096.JPG 
(Sketches: Mike Rabbitt)

The many details such as platforms, ladders, stairs etc. I have to gather from the photo collection.
I have not drawn small parts such as electrical boxes, electrical pipes and the like. I will add them to the finished model later.

Bernhard

And this is how the 3D model looks with the trucks already built. However, the rivets are not yet drawn in here.
The front tower

Hulett 0097.jpg

And the rear tower

Hulett 0098.jpg

So, from now on I'm back in the workshop to realize the thing.

Bernhard

SandiaPaul

Wow where did you find that original drawing? I might have a photo or two I can send you but they can't be shared online, sorry. I got them from:
https://allencountymuseum.org/
Paul