• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Volker Has Written A Book

Started by finescalerr, November 06, 2022, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Some of you may wonder why Volker Gerisch has been posting less frequently. He has been working on a 200 page hardbound book about how he built almost every facet of his diorama layouts, Quiet Earth and A Snapshot in Time. The book goes on sale early in December.

If you want to compete for a free copy or just enjoy a sneak preview, visit https://abos.geramond.de/testleser/ before November 20. If you look at the sample pages, answer a couple of questions and, of course, if they like what you write, you may be the winner.

Volker has created the best railroad related modeling book I have ever seen and I've seen quite a few over 25 years of publishing. Actually, the book is probably better than any since the birth of our hobby and a monument to Volker's talents. Of course he not only built the entire layout but also wrote the text, shot nearly all the photos, designed all the graphics, and composed every page. All of that, I should point out, without any help from his mom.

His publisher decided to release the book only in German but you and I know that's unimportant because none of us actually reads such books anyway; we just look at the pictures. It has some photos we already have seen and many new ones.

The publishers titled the book Vollendete Baukunst (Consummate Art of Building). I suspect one reason they chose that title instead of How Volker Built His Layout is because it actually is elegant enough to double as a coffee table art book and I suspect a lot of people who buy it will place it on display in the living room.

I have posted three photos from the book and I suggest all of us, whether lurkers or official card-carrying forum contributors, consider adding it to our library. It is one of the only books appropriate for Westlake Publishing Modelers' Forum members. It is absolutely superb and I recommend it to everyone.

Russ

Labor's dawn 536x800.jpg
Night shift 2 600x800.jpg
Sunset 800x600.jpg   

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

The information about the competition translated into English, but I haven't managed to get the excerpt pages translated. Any tips how?

SandiaPaul

Yes I have a tip on translation. I subscribe to a German publication dedicated to the live steam world and while some of it is in English most of the text is German. Recently on noticed on my Google search page on my iphone there is a "translate text with your camera" button. I tried it out and it works very well. It is a bit tedious for a long article but it does work and the translation is pretty good. This is a Google thing so I'm sure it is on Android as well. And sorry Russ some of us read every word, I certainty did and still do on all of your publications! Looking forward to this book!
Paul

WP Rayner

Wow, this is excellent news! Congratulations Volker. This is definitely a must have addition to the library. Commentary is open to international participants, but is the contest?
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Hydrostat

Thanks a lot, Russ, Ray, Bill and Paul & Paul,

and yes, the contest is open to international participants. Just chose 'Weiteres Umland' ('further environs') at the drop down menu "Land". Hope this helps and good luck!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Thanks, SandiaPaul and Volker. The page describing the competition is already translated when I open it, but when I click on the book's cover to see the excerpt to read the text is German and I can not find away to plug that text in Google Translate or to  Translate the text.
No doubt it's my online savvy that's lacking here.

Hydrostat

Bill, the preview pages are pixel based which means you can't 'copy' and translate the text digitally at all. Paul's clever solution seems to work with OCR, which 'regognizes' pixel based text and transforms it into fonts which then can be translated: It's basically using the smartphone as a scanner.

nk

That is great news. I will be ordering a copy as soon as its available. Well done Volker!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Narayan, I hope you're fine!

I just found out that there's a downloadable pdf file: if you open the preview click on the download arrow right aside of the printer icon on the bottom of the preview page. This way you get a copy with embedded fonts.

Volker

TRAINS1941

Congratulations Volker!  I wish they would have done a English version.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

SandiaPaul

Bill,

You have to use your phone. Go to google search home screen on your phone. There should be an option to "translate with your phone" If it doesn't work ummm trying googling it!
Paul

Bill Gill

Paul, Thanks, Guess I'm not totally inept, just have a desktop, no cellphone... so that explains why i couldn't find that translation option.

Bernhard

Excellent work, Volker. I am impressed with the effort you have put into sharing your work with us. Of course, I immediately put the book on my Christmas wish list.

Bernhard

Stuart

:o From the few preview pages I have seen, I'd say this is a must have addition to my library.  The photos are superb and your efforts to show how you have accomplished your fine and exacting detail make this volume invaluable.  Excellent work Volker!

Stuart