• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Fordson project in 1/16th scale

Started by Chuck Doan, September 21, 2021, 08:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Design-HSB

Quote from: Chuck Doan on March 19, 2022, 02:40:22 PM

Added some safety stripes and some more chips.
Hi Chuck, what technique do you use to do that with the chips? That looks great on the model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Chuck Doan

Thanks Guys!

Helmut, It is the hairspray technique.

The primer coat was Tamiya TS-1 Red Brown from the spray can. Let it dry thoroughly; in this case about six years, but normally at least a couple of days.

Then I applied hairspray using my airbrush. I use the type of hairspray that comes in a pump bottle (full strength). I did approx. two coats. I like the control I get, especially around a model like this one (inner and outer surfaces to reach).
After an hour, I airbrushed a custom mix of Tamiya XF red and yellow (Rellow or Yed, whichever you like), building up thin coats.

I let it dry for about 3 hours and then added the stripes. I drew the end beams in CAD with the stripes. I printed this drawing full scale, and taped it over some Post-Its and cut some masks. I applied the masks and airbrushed some Tamiya black mix. The Post It stickum is just right for this purpose.

Then I started the chipping. I use a small nylon brush...apply a bit of water to the area and begin lightly brushing until the paint begins to chip. Sometimes a toothpick can be used to break the paint up, but be careful. The exposed surface you see is the Tamiya Red Brown undercoat. I will go back and add some variations to some of the chips.

I love the technique, but it is subjective. This is the second try for this; I got impatient with the yellow coat and built it up too quickly, and my chips were too thick and rounded. So a quick dunk in Windex removed the yellow, but left the enamel undercoat untouched. The next time I built up the yellow color in thinner coats, and the chipping was better. It will also probably help to have a higher quality airbrush than mine. I have seen some sublime chipping done on 1/72 scale tanks.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Chuck Doan

Thanks!

I got the side numbers on, using the post-it mask method. First productive modeling weekend in about 8 months.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Glad to see you pulled this one out of the archives!!

Your work goes without saying anything!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Peter_T1958

And now the ordeal for all ,,normal" modeler starts over again...
Cheers,
Peter
BTW. Chuck, this might be your next project? No?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bernhard

Well done, very subtle and realistic.

Bernhard

WP Rayner

Excellent work as usual Chuck... loving the yellow.

Peter: That Fordson with the sidecar is bloody brilliant. Someone is going to have to model that.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Looking Great - and a very nice colour to it just looks industrial
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

The tractor with the side car is yet another proof that there's a prototype for everything!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Finally starting to throw some dirt n oil on it.