• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Caboose

Started by finescalerr, June 12, 2019, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

About a month and a half ago I decided finally to cobble together an On30 caboose I'd drawn back around 2008. It's been more work than it's worth and, frankly, I'm dissatisfied with the results so far but I suppose it's okay for a "pilot model". Actually, I started construction just to see whether I like the design and, if I do, maybe I'll rebuild the whole thing but with more laser cut parts and figure out ways to create other parts with tools other than my hands, a knife, and pliers.

First the drawing.

Russ

finescalerr

Now a shot of the walls under construction. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Hey Unc most satisfactory!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Here is what it looks like now. To my eye, it's a little rough -- too "handmade" -- and, in this case, using cardstock and wood construction seems largely to be responsible for that appearance. It also has made building the model much more difficult and finicky since the whole thing is only about four inches long. I think I now remember why I dread scratchbuilding boxcars and cabooses. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Russ.
yes, satisfactory -please proceed and finish it.
cheers

Robert G

Russ, I don't think it is that bad at all , actually, I like it very much.  !! It is just to new at this stage. Needs some serious weathering. ;)

Design-HSB

HI Russ, looks very interesting and inspiring and of course but also high as brand new. Hey just why not, it doesn't have to look like everything that would have to scare the ride.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Russ, I agree, your caboose looks pretty good.
The only thing that stands out to me is that the wood and cardstock parts look stained rather than painted. There is a slight difference in the intensity of the color on those different materials too. But the construction looks really nicely done.

finescalerr

I will complete it but it is below the standard of this forum's modeling. It will have to be a "test build" to reveal what must change on a future iteration. For one thing, the proportions looked better on paper than they do in reality. The thing also is taking "forever" to build and that is something I would change on a revised model; it needs much better engineering. Styrene would have been a far better material to use. The only reason I've posted it is to let you know I've been working on something, not just sitting in the audience. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

I think it passes the "cute" test.

finescalerr

I fooled around with the caboose today and have decided to salvage the trucks but scrap everything else. More work would be a waste of time. On the other hand, I can study the body to see what I did wrong.

The end steps (below) match the plans perfectly, were difficult to build, took hours to assemble, but look wrong on the model and stick out too far. I smoothed their rough edges a couple of weeks ago but won't bother to attach them permanently.

Too many other parts fit poorly, involve unsatisfactory compromises, or just look wrong, especially the hardware. As Lawton says, the design is "cute" but, as I suggested above, "cute" isn't what I had in mind. The reason I posted photos is to show how we often have to throw out days of work and rebuild all or parts of a model before it turns out properly. In this case even the plans themselves need revision.

As I said at the beginning, it is a pilot model.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Has nice lines. Good to see you modeling!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Doug H.

Looks good Russ! It reminds me of a Westside Lumber caboose.
"It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools."

Ray Dunakin

Interesting project. I think it looks pretty good except for the swaybacked roof on the cupola.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Dave Fischer

Ray, you're not supposed to mention those things, at least not before it's all done. This IS a very attractive caboose and it would certainly be worth  trying a styrene version before giving up the idea. Russ, have you tried the steps in place? I'm wondering if they will be visually too heavy for such a small caboose-- I like seeing the truck below the platform. Maybe some home-grown strap steps under a full-width platform? Just thinkin'   DF