• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 21, 2023, 10:28:57 PMI'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this!

Me too!  :)

But one of the problems with long breaks with no modelling is that it takes some time to get back in gear.
I takes som sessions at the workbench before I get back in shape. 

Not to mention picking up some strangly shaped piece of brass thinking "what the heck did i make this for?"

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on November 22, 2023, 12:02:49 AMBut one of the problems with long breaks with no modelling is that it takes some time to get back in gear.

Hi HÃ¥vard
I'm very happy to see an update from you! Even if you point out that you haven't spent a lot of time at the workbench last summer, these bogie sides look highly promising to me.
I told you once, how much I love your project no matter how long I have to wait for an update. Indeed, one needs to take a long breath to to pursue such challenges to the end!!!

But I am also alarmed by the fact how perishable modelling skills are. I have become very rusty with my modelling skills too, and had been shocked recently, while trying to restart a new project on my desk: I had not been aware how my hands are shaking after that long absence... :-\

Keep up your inspiring work!
Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bernhard

For parts that are just lying around as decoration, the truck sides look really good.

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on November 22, 2023, 12:29:04 PMFor parts that are just lying around as decoration, the truck sides look really good.

Bernhard

They are indeed built for laying around looking gorgeous in the workshop, but as I have revealed in another thread building this is also a way of tricking myself into building the last of the three engines of this tyoe that the Thamshavn Railway operated. So all stops will be pulled for building the engine parts!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

As usual, things are not moving fast, but there is at least some progress.

I need a couple of machines for the workshop, mainly a Radial drilling machine. and a wheeel lathe.
A lot of time has been spent researcing the machines, and for the drilling machine there is almost too much information.

But after a lot of headscratching the 3D model is getting close to completion:

Raboma_rendering_01.jpg

The prototype:

liten_raboma_02.jpg

A lot of time is spent learning my ways around Fusion360, and hopfully this is an investment that will pay off in a while!

Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Gorgeous rendering. It will be challenging to reproduce the polished pedestal. Please post progress photos of this inspirational little project. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on February 25, 2024, 04:13:01 PMGorgeous rendering. It will be challenging to reproduce the polished pedestal. Please post progress photos of this inspirational little project. -- Russ

I cannot remember the scale here, but fairly large I think.  If I were doing the dill press I would make the column a separate part from metal tube or rod.  Relatively easy to get the right finish then, easier to paint the rest and cylinders are always tricky to print and/or cast anyway.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Chuck Doan

Agreed about the separate column.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Nice little project, Hauk. The drive motor for the drill spindle seems a bit undersized to me, though. It should be a bit bigger.

Bernhard

Barney

Looking good - nice detail - drive motor requires a slight rethink
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Hi Hauk.
Always a plesure to follow along.
Cheers Kim

Hauk

Just a little bump of the thread to prove that i am still at it!

Raboma_rendering_02.jpg
Regards, Hauk
--

Bill Gill

Even a little progress is still progress. Looks good.