• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 scale vehicles

Started by chester, June 29, 2008, 07:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Again I hesitate to submit my stuff here with all of the magnificent work I see but some might find these interesting. I work only in 1/87 so everything seen is HO. I have a certain penchant for old vehicles particularly trucks.

These are all slight variations on the Jordan Miniatures injected molded plastic kits.

And the base model for this came from, of all places, Roco Minitanks. It is a 1930's Zis-5 built in Russia with tooling used from the U.S. manufacturer Autocar.

marklayton

Excellent weathering all around.  Especially like the truck posed in front of the barn - the road dirt on the wheels looks real, and your excellent paint work in the engine compartment really brings up the details of the engine.
He who dies with the most tools wins.

TRAINS1941

Chester really a nice job on the vehicles.  Really like that ruck in front of the barn with motor exposed, nice weathering and really shows off the engine.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

John McGuyer

Very, very nice work. Thank you for posting it.

John

chester

Thank you all for the valued comments. A word about the Zis 5 truck. It seems that in 1927 several American truck manufacturers decided to bring all of the tooling to Russia and began to produce what most resembles the Autocar of that year. And while of course the Autocar went on to many future changes, the Zis was built virtually unchanged well into WW2.
   That being said, I suppose I will refer to this 1/87 scale Roco/Komo Zis 5 as a 1927 Autocar pole /piling setting truck. An interesting feature on the prototype is that the cable from the hand cranked winch travels under the bed of the truck and emerges in the center to go up to the boom sheave. The winch is made of old watch parts and the boom and bed are styrene.

marc_reusser

Schweet..nicely done. I like the parts you built.(much crisper than the original kit/cast parts). Very clean work. The winch looks very good. I like that you went to the effort of adding the rivets/bolts at the side panel stakes, and the notchong of the boom legs at the mounting locations.

The only thing I wish were a bit different, is the seam/gap between the roof and cab walls...and something other than the fuzzy string for the cable.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

Thanks Marc, you're right about the roof. The prototype, unlike many trucks of the era, has a gutter that probably wouldn't be too hard to replicate. With regard to cabling, I pass my thread through my fingers coated with mustache wax usually but I've been experimenting with lead core fishing line lately to get a better look (no fuzzies). The lead core is imprinted with a nice twisted cable pattern when the Dacron sheathing is removed. It is difficult to color and fasten however since not much wants to stick to lead.