• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ships Boats

Started by turtle, November 22, 2014, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

To show that occasionally I get to finish things  :D
@ 1/75th - odd scale I know, but the scale I have chosen for my larger RC ships  ;), what I call my multi-media 'kits' - uses anything laying around that might fit be it wood/styrene/resin/brass/tin or whatever. Hulls are vac-formed then details added. Top three photos are from a commission build that severely tested my sanity. 

Ray Dunakin

Holy carp, that is nice work!!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Really lovely work there Roger ... I wanted to do something very similar a while back - but ran out of talent and ability whilst I sat there and thought about it.
Would like a few words as to how you went about this? - reference, plans or thinking - etc.

Once again - pretty damn brill'.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

Incroyable! Some of the finest boat models I've ever seen! -- Russ

5thwheel

I like them. Nicely detailed.  Tell me why/about the folding stacks. I have not seen that before. Lots of low bridges?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

turtle

Cheers to all for the comments.
Bill - these are pre-WWI era battleship ships boats and the folding stacks were a prominent feature of the Soviet ships, there seems to be various theories for the folding stacks but most agree it helped reduce entanglement during raising and lowering and stowing.
Andi - you're a curious lot  :D . I'm more than sure you have the abilities to build these sorts of thing, as I say - if I can do it then anyone can  ;).
"Reference, plans or thinking - etc" this is where I strike lucky, I enjoy researching this type of thing and have amassed a quite large reference library and now enhanced with the miracle of the interweb  :o, plus I have a few very well placed contacts who help feed my appetite for info  :-*. So - even with all the reference material, good plans are still a fairly rare commodity and those available you have to pay with your first born child to get copies from some museums.

Thinking - more like what the heck was I thinking doing this sort of thing  ;D. As mentioned the top three photos were for a commission build of a pre-WWI Soviet battleship, before I even start on the battleship hull I like to get the ships boats done first plus a few other prominent pieces - no real reason, just the way I do things. For that particular build there were 19 ships boats of various types from the Captains launch down to a jolly. Each type requires a different approach.
As an overview it breaks down:
a.  Plans, reference and 7P's
b.  Build buck for vac-forming, or individual planking for clinker types
c.  Vac-form base hull or plank entire hull for clinker types.
d.  Line out the hull interior and/or add decking
e.  Add minor details
f.  Place out of sight for 2+ weeks, then drag out and review faults etc
g.  Fix faults/shoddy work
h.  Final paint and polish
i.  Sit back and think 1 down just 18 more to go  :D

Sorry it's a bit abstract in format and wording - brains not really functioning too well lately (last 40+ years  :D).
Just give a yell if there's something more specific you want to know and I'll try and give a answer.

Cheers again to all for popping in for a nosey.       

Gordon Ferguson

Beatiful models Roger, think I would be satisfied just building one of those ...... Actually more than satisfied  :)

But to build that many , to that standard :o

Any chance of seeing the completed ship ?
Gordon

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

turtle

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on November 24, 2014, 12:54:04 AMAny chance of seeing the completed ship ?

No  :D.
But here's a teaser  ;):

Even though it is an RC boat, it was built as per 'Builders Display Models' hence all the brass work and to 'test' the competition rules  :-X, unfortunately for the owner that aspect turned out to be a very expensive experiment  :-[. Can only find a handful of photos mostly of bits'n'pieces during the build but there should be some of it's first test launch somewhere.

Cheers for that Chuck, much appreciated.

JohnTolcher

Hi Roger
Yes indeed, really beautiful work! Brilliant!

Cheers
Cheers
John in Australia

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Indeed. And again, guys, please remember Roger is a mediocre modeler and this would be a pretty elementary project for most of us.... -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on November 25, 2014, 12:01:49 PM
Indeed. And again, guys, please remember Roger is a mediocre modeler and this would be a pretty elementary project for most of us.... -- Russ

That's right. , Russ . In fact , I am surprised you allow such mediocre modelling to see light of day on your superior and highfalutin modelling forum . Standards are certainly slipping these days .

Most unsatisfactory .

turtle

:D :D

Yay, I finally got a "Most unsatisfactory".
Guess I should collect my things and head to the corner till my skills improve  :-[.

shropshire lad

Quote from: turtle on November 25, 2014, 02:20:27 PM
:D :D

Yay, I finally got a "Most unsatisfactory".
Guess I should collect my things and head to the corner till my skills improve  :-[.

It is probably for the best if you do . However , make sure you only go to the "mediocre modellers " corner because I don't want you in the "quite good modellers" corner because  I'm rather fussy who I let join me there !