• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/16 CAT-style forklift truck on rails

Started by mad gerald, February 02, 2013, 01:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: mad gerald on April 21, 2013, 01:48:11 PM
BTW: Regarding the drawing, the Moës seems to have width of 1230 mm ... that's hard to believe!

Yes Gerald, the MOES is a very small gas loco like the HEM !

Franck

mad gerald

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on April 21, 2013, 01:55:25 PM
Quote from: mad gerald on April 21, 2013, 01:48:11 PM
BTW: Regarding the drawing, the Moës seems to have width of 1230 mm ... that's hard to believe!
Yes Gerald, the MOES is a very small gas loco like the HEM !
... my intention was more to express my surprise that it's THAT wide, regarding the length of only 2195 mm ... I expected a width of approx. 1000 mm (more or less) ...

So in 1/16 scale it would measure approx. 13,71 x 7,68 mm ...  ::)

Cheers

marc_reusser

Franck, thank you for the drawing. Will be a great help.

Can anyone tell me, or have info on what the blue, and the orange locos are, that they have on the site?
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 22, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
Can anyone tell me, or have info on what the blue, and the orange locos are, that they have on the site?
... for sure ...  ;)

The rusty "orange one":
No.7, Alan Keef 9 (Lister 3 Cylinder ST3 Engine) build date 1982

The blue one:
Spoorijzer Railtractor RT8 (No.112 built 1952)

.. was a piece of cake ...  ;D ... as can be found on the website too ... (see links on top: introduction, construction, operation, locos, updates) ...  8)

But have you seen THIS in the update section ... ?!?!?!

cheers

BTW: Do you intend to build one of 'em?

mad gerald

G'day all,

My last chassis seemed too oversized to me, so I built a new one which matches my idea and corresponds with the prototype. Again I solely used styrene sheet and profiles, glued together with acetone. The massive sidebars will make it easy to mount the side sheet "metal", which will be true to scale and therefore quite thin. The rear part of this battery-powered-former-forklift-now-on-rails is, where the edges of the "sidebars" had been cut off.

Cheers

mad gerald

G'day all,

I glued a groundplate to the chassis as well as some square styrene tubes. The latter will allow better adjustment of following parts, especially of the side panels, which have to be cut very precisely and also have to be pushed flat over the buzz saw, with the saw blade adjusted that kinda low, that it is only cutting a slot/gap from underneath in the styrene to fold the 45° angles in the entrance/exit area.  

The lower part of the fork lift mechanism of the prototype is mounted to the frontplate. A part of that mechanism has to be build too for the model as the "buffer beam" is mounted on it.

Front

Back

Cheers

marc_reusser

M-Works

mad gerald

G'day all,

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 29, 2013, 04:11:50 AM
Cool. Coming along.
... thx ...  :)

In comparison with CAD, 3D-printing or even 3D-scanning my method may appear to be out out fashion with the ark ...  ;) ... but it works.

My MS PowerPoint® drawings are printed on self adhesive label, preferably easy to remove - without sticky residue. To get that notch in the rear part of the side panels I turned the saw blade down, only approx. 0,25 mm poking out. Then I moved the side panel (0,5 mm) flat (mind your fingers!) over the buzz saw, folded up the area behind the notch and gave some acetone in the noth with a paint brush. When the acetone has evaporated and the styrene has set again it is remaining in that new position and the notch has almost vanished.

The current state:

Cheers

lab-dad

Coming along nicely!

TIP:
if you tilt the blade to 45 degrees (not sure if that is possible on your saw) and go half - three quarets of the way through, then you end up with an even better joint.

-Marty

finescalerr

mad gerald

Quote from: lab-dad on May 03, 2013, 07:31:40 AM
Coming along nicely!
Quote from: finescalerr on May 03, 2013, 01:28:16 PM
Nice, neat work. -- Russ
... thanks ...  8)

Quote from: lab-dad on May 03, 2013, 07:31:40 AM
TIP:
if you tilt the blade to 45 degrees (not sure if that is possible on your saw) and go half - three quarets of the way through, then you end up with an even better joint.
... well noted, Marty ... will give it a try with the next version ... or just testing occasionally ...

Cheers

marc_reusser

Very nice. Like the back-cut approach.

....and thanks Marty for the angled blade tip.

Marc

M-Works

mad gerald

G'day all,

Meanwhile I glued some styrene parts to the front, where the fork lift mechanism is mounted to the prototype. The opening where a hydraulic tube is lead out to operate the hydraulic mechanism at the prototype I covered on the modell with round "sheet metal" (styrene) and imitated a welding line around it with some putty. Using styrene sheet with a thickness of 0,25 mm I carefully glued (with acetone) a skirt around the lower part. Next will be the inner service panels hiding the electrics and mechanics, followed by the left over fork lift mechanism (where the buffer is mounted to) and the seat and it's sub-construction ... and bits and bobs ...

Cheers

mad gerald

G'day all,

Only a little progress to report: In the meantime I almost finished the "firewall". The opening on the left (in driving direction) for the steering linkage (on prototype) has to be closed. Therefore I'm gonna simulate some welded sheet metal (styrene with welding bead from putty).

The service panels are mounted with screws from brass (blackened) with dimensions AF 1,3, M 0,8x2

Cheers

marc_reusser

Nice clean build. And not to be an ass...and I only meantion this, because it is so unlike you to miss this....and it will likely be un-noticed when painted and finished, (as the black/white contrast shows it up)...but the two center rivets in the cab do not seem to align.

M-Works