• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

That really looks intimidating! -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Its OK Michael you almost past the hardest bit ............... keep the planks on the narrow side especially at the turn of the bilge and you will be fine ..... just needs a bit of care on the aft run up to the stern.

Think this is more watching you do it ............... rather than me

Can't wait till the morning when I can see your next post  ;D

Another thought for you .......... on carvel planked hulls like these some people find it worth while to lay the planking on a diagonal rather than fore & aft  ( like the way the RAF WW2 launches were done) it can be easier to bend the card around the various curves ............ you will get gaps but then you put another layer of planks on the opposite diagonal which fills them and it does give you a really strong hull.   
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gee Gordon...and I thought rivet counters and "ze Sviss" were annoying.  ;D ;D :P 

All very interesting reading. A wonderful no cost education on something I knew nothing about.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

michael mott

Ok being  glutton for punishment, I am continuing the steep learning curve. it is a good thing that i have all sorts of tools to butcher with! Some wine helps!!

I had to scare this chap away this afternoon as he thought it would be a good thing to eat the Boxwood tree that I planted on my little garden railway.

There was also a wild turkey rummaging around Oh the joys of living in the country.

back to the boat.

Using my incredible IDEAL http://www.ideal.de/component/option,com_idealproducts/cat,159/Itemid,100159/lang,en/ paper cutter that I found at the "Take it or Leave it" at my local recycling depot This tool is absolutely awesome!

I cut some planks from a gift box card.

and started to glue them up.

A lot of time holding the planks in place with my fingers,( greatest clamps in the world for small stuff) fingers that is.

michael

Gordon Ferguson

Knew it be worth waking up this morning ................... looking good Michael.

Warning shot across the bows noted Marc  ;D
Gordon

granitechops

Michael, looking good quickly!!, ribs & planking, intriguing 8)
One of my first models was of a cornish fishing boat ( very generic not proto) when I was 12.
For my education, & this is not a criticism,
On Doris's  hull construction I noticed she did several skins & sealed them before she planked the hull, are you doing just one layer of planking or several butt jointed overlaping layers first
How thick are the ribs? they look to be about 1mm?

Following with great interest
Don in sunny Devon, England

Junior

Real nice to see a boat here again! Wonder what happened to the French guy who posted those great fishing boats? Anyway great work Michael and this should look just as good. The whole construction looks exactly how the real thing would be built. By the way I donĀ“t think you mentioned what scale it is ????
Anders

michael mott

Gordon, you are too kind,

Granite, I will be doing a couple of layers at least that way I will be able to fair the hull. I will coat the planking with a sealer ,most likely thinned down carpenters glue. The harder cereal box card is .56mm and the softer planking card is .6mm
I will make the final planks from white 2ply Bristol board which seems appropriate for this model. Being a generic Bristol Cutter an' all.

Junior, The plans that I modeled this boat on did not have a scale. The length of the hull overall without the bowsprit is 239 mm or 9.41 inches. I have chosen the scale of 1:60 which gives a hull length of 47feet, the Bristol Cutters were anywhere from 40 to 50+ feet long.

Michael

michael mott

Managed a bit more planking,

At this point I decided that some diagonal planking would make the stern much stronger.

and from the bow

The diagonal planking is making the model very sturdy.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Mornings continue to be worthwhile  ;D

Nice switch with the planking ...... does the MAP plan give you sufficient detail for the cabin, etc
Gordon

finescalerr

So when you do the final planking, will you take the same approach: Straight boards wherever possible and then cut to fit what remains? -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Great job Michael.  Thanks for all the pictures really interesting to see how this goes together.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

TRAINS1941

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 29, 2012, 02:11:33 AM
Ahhh...just lovely......I love a nice rib model of a hull.  Makes me want to drag out my old set of ships-curves, and snuggle up to them.

Spring fever, Marc is in love again!!!!! :)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

michael mott

Gordon, yes there is some detail on the small low deck house nothing on the interior , there is lots on the web though.

Russ, I was thinking along those lines initially, but I am thinking that after O have finished the sub planking I will fair the hull and paint it white then I will draw the lines of the planking and shape them to fit so that the planks have the correct shape. On some small craft you can see those oakum calking lines and they show. Once the hall is smooth it will be easier to place the thinner bristle board planks. I have noticed that the soft gift box card can be shaped reasonable well. On a smaller model like this, I would cut narrower planks in the future. I see this model as a way to learn what my limits are and what to do better in the future. I am going to see how far I can push the card, including the mast and spars.

The biggest lesson so far is regarding the shapes of the stations. It would be important to use some thin card strips to check them before gluing every one in place, The first station on this model is a bit out and would have been better if I had reshaped it early on. At the midsections they are very similar and the planks seem to fit pretty well, at the bow and sterns are where they get tricky. I can also see now why the early boat builders used sectional half models to confirm the lines, it is tough to confirm 3d compound shapes on 2d flat paper drawings.

Jerry,
Thanks for following along.

I hope to get the rest of the planks on today, I have a feeling that the bow will get a bit trying.

Michael