• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/22,5 Feldbahn bulkhead flat wagon for 26,7mm track

Started by mad gerald, July 02, 2011, 01:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

Still suffering from a lack of time - as I try to get into the operation of a CAD software  (Autodesk IntenvorĀ®) - I decided to build at second a bulkhead flat wagon, based on another pre-mounted and pre-treated wagon frame from Frithjof. Theses frames where soldered in a special kinda assembling jig, designed and built by him too.

Bild 07-0046

Bild 07-0047

Apart from this pre-mounted frame I'm going to use real ball bearings (diameter 3mm, width 1mm) in DIN axle boxes (brass castings) with custom made (lathed) brass axles. The feldbahn wheels have an inner part of resin and a steel rim. These ball bearing bedded axles run phenomenally good (as long as they are proper adjusted) ...  8) ... and have been approved on my flatcar.

Bild 07-0048

Mr Potato Head

I like how it balances on two wheels !  ::)
MPH
FYI All major league baseball umpires must wear "Black" underware! Just in case they split their pants?
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Very neat. I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

I got the basic frame of the flatcar modified, soldering L-shaped brass profiles to it, followed by strut sections (support/donation from Frithjof) for more stability made out of Neusilber, a kind of alloy consisting of copper, nickel and zinc.

It looks a bit scruffy at the moment, as I am not quite familiar with metal modeling techniques yet, but let's wait and see ...

07-0047

lab-dad

FWIW I like using a blast of baking soda (In an air eraser or similar) after soldering.
It cleans very well and leaves the slightest texture.

Not sure how versed you are in soldering but flux is the secret, that and using as little solder as possible.
Often what will stick on the tip of the gun/pencil is even more than required.
Or just tinning the parts and re-heating.

-Marty

mad gerald

Quote from: lab-dad on July 19, 2011, 11:44:10 AM
FWIW I like using a blast of baking soda (In an air eraser or similar) after soldering.
It cleans very well and leaves the slightest texture.

... unfortunately I do not own any air eraser or something similar, my workshop is more or less "low tech", happening on my desk or kitchen table ...

Quote from: lab-dad on July 19, 2011, 11:44:10 AM
Not sure how versed you are in soldering but flux is the secret, that and using as little solder as possible.
Often what will stick on the tip of the gun/pencil is even more than required.
Or just tinning the parts and re-heating.

... thanks for your feedback. I'll give it another try. May be my partial inadequately soldering results depend on a lack of practice ... ?

Regards