• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HMS Victory 1:98

Started by WP Rayner, October 06, 2021, 08:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Thanks Russ and Ray. Yes, it is good to be back at the workbench working on the Victory.
Now cruising along milling the T-slots in the rest of the frames. I added a second dial indicator providing dial readout on both axes, increasing efficiency and accuracy. In photo, the vertical slot has been milled, cutter is at the zero point ready to mill the horizontal slot.

MillingTSlots.jpg
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

I sure hope you are able to finish that model. If you continue to improve the kit, it probably will surpass most ship models I've seen. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on December 20, 2022, 12:32:49 PMI sure hope you are able to finish that model. If you continue to improve the kit, it probably will surpass most ship models I've seen. -- Russ

Thank you Russ. Finishing it is the plan and I'm pressing on with whatever time I have available to do so. Whether it surpasses other ship models is not my concern. I'm just trying to demonstrate that traditional tools and methods are still relevant, important, and worth saving in this age of technology-fueled convenience.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Its A Complete mind blowing job - with total miniature wood engineering And a massive improvement of the kit ! Fantastic buts its way beyond me
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

Quote from: Barney on December 27, 2022, 01:28:53 PMIts A Complete mind blowing job - with total miniature wood engineering And a massive improvement of the kit ! Fantastic buts its way beyond me
Barney
Thanks Barney... it's a challenge, that's for certain.
Paul

WP Rayner

After milling and paring out the T-slots in all the frames I did a test assembly of the frames, T-stringer, and keel. Be a bit of a tricky process when it comes to glue-up, but as it is, it's a strong, rigid assembly without the glue. Next step is to finish flattening a couple of warped frames, then cut out the waste areas between the deck beams on all of the frames.

FrameStringerKeelAssy.jpg
KeelDryAssy.jpg 
Paul

finescalerr

It looks strong and unlikely to warp. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Carlo

Cutting the deck profiles will be a lot of work.
Good luck with it, and keep lots of blades handy,
Carlo

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Thanks Russ, Ray, and Carlo. It is a rigid assembly as it sits, which pleases me. Once glued up it should be quite robust which it needs to be for fairing

Quote from: Carlo on January 19, 2023, 01:25:10 PMCutting the deck profiles will be a lot of work.
Good luck with it, and keep lots of blades handy,
Carlo

I've stocked up Carlo. I plan to cut the long sweeping horizontal edges on the scroll saw, then cut the more complex side edges with a jewellers saw.
Paul

Lawton Maner

Fascinating XY table you created to mill the parts for the hull frames!   

WP Rayner

Bulk of scroll saw work completed on the frames. What's left to cut are the half-lap joints on the hanging knees that support the deck beams. Decided to cut and mill all the deck beams from solid timber. Presently building a pivoting table for the scroll saw which will allow me to cut the beams to a consistent radius and depth. Radius of the beams does increase slightly as you move up through the decks, but at 1:98 scale, the change is so small it would be unnoticeable, so all beams will be cut to the same radius. Once the curved beams are cut, I'll mill the grooves for deck stringers and the half-lap joints on the beams, then cut the half-lap joints on the frames to fit the beams. After that, the frames can be permanently installed to the keel and stringer, then beam and decking installation can begin from the lowest deck and progress up through the five decks... a ways to go before that can happen.

FramesCut.jpg
Paul

finescalerr

Like a blooming flower. Satisfactory. -- Russ