• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Fordson project in 1/16th scale

Started by Chuck Doan, September 21, 2021, 08:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I like the blue -- it's a nice change from the usual tractor colors.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Bernhard's wonderful project reminded me I haven't posted an update for a while. I have finished the first group of CAD parts and have had them printed at Shapeways. I'm going thru a bad case Modeling Malaise just now, so hopefully I will get back to this soon.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Chuck, has Shapeways improved the resolution of its prints to keep up with that of companies offering affordable printers? The Elegoo Saturn, for example, costs $400 and produces prints much finer than what Shapeways was making a couple of years ago. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Those parts do indeed look very good Chuck... clean and crisp.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Its such a pity that the Di-Cast people don't take so much attention to finesse and detail

Another Impressive Fordson to take your breath away "I just Love it" its so fine with incredible detail
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Chuck, As russ noted, the parts do look cleaner. Excellent details I see some faint horizontal print lines in the first photo. And that material also looks whiter than the other photos which seem to be smoother and a very light gray. Or is that just the lighting?

Chuck Doan

These parts are the Fine Detail Plastic at the highest resolution. Still some fine layer lines in places. Bill, I soak them in Bestine to remove the wax inside and out. They turn opaque white (upper photo) when they are fully clean. The parts in the lower photo have a coat of grey primer so I can see what needs to be addressed. Still a huge time saving over scratchbuilding them, even if I could. (Which I can't)

Over the last two years, 3D printing in the model world has exploded. It is verging on being "common". I am also impressed by how many modelers are taking up the CAD end of it and designing their own original parts to print. I have been monitoring several of the Facebook 3D print groups, as well as individual modelers who have bought their own printers. I see stellar work, and, well, not so great parts too.  The printers can be fussy, and I see mixed opinions on how easy/hard they are. There is a lot to know about print angles and support placement and resins and temperatures and curing and cleaning, etc.  I'm pretty sure I will dive in one of these days, but for now it is super easy (lazy) to have them done for me.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Bernhard

That's awesome, Chuck! There's certainly a lot of work that went into it.
Is it possible to scale the model down to 1:35? Because I'm not really happy with the resin model from plusmodel that I always use.

Bernhard

Chuck Doan

Bernhard, it is quite easy to scale the 3D models down. The problem is that some of the edges and details will become too small or thin to print successfully. I am hoping to see some of the parts printed in 1/25th. That will give me an idea if anything smaller is possible.

Sami

The building of this tractor looks good.
I wait patiently for the rest.

fspg2

Hello chuck,
It's just great how you progress step by step!
The prints look great!
Frithjof

Hydrostat

Chuck,

the printed parts came out well - great CAD work. How did you make the radiator mesh? Several layers of some sheet material with spacers?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I found this image this afternoon on the photography website I visit. Looks as though Chuck paid a visit to the desert and got a little enthusiastic with his weathering powders. -- ssuR

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on January 27, 2022, 04:44:35 PM
I found this image this afternoon on the photography website I visit. Looks as though Chuck paid a visit to the desert and got a little enthusiastic with his weathering powders. -- ssuR

What a beautifully weathered machine! I wonder where that is?

Ray Dunakin's World