• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rewanui - a 1940 West Coast NZ layout in 1:64

Started by Lawrence@NZFinescale, February 08, 2021, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

As well as the water vat I've been working on the coal stage as the two sit side by side on the layout.

The vat would have been well maintained and thus weathered paintwork was a good approach.  The coal stage was a far rougher structure and would have faced damage from years of loading/unloading coal.  Inspired by Mr Doan's work, this prompted me to look for ways to model weathered wood in 1:64 in a way that was not too time intensive (remember that all these models are part of a larger whole, not ends in themselves).  First experiments are earlier in this thread, but here is progress on the structure.

A 2 part clip together print this has proven quite quick to do on the real world side.  I've printed a few of them and this is the result of the second experiment.  Steps were:

• prime
  • filter (only a play with this as I hadn't used it before)
  • paint gray
  • dark enamel wash
  • spray chipping fluid (or hairspray)
  • topcoat
  • remove paint with tape
  • Another wash to inside surfaces

This works well and is very quick because the details are all in the print.  Now I've done my proof of concepts I can take a little more care with the final version.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Despite the lack of updates various things have been progressing on the layout - more development and technical than visual though.

However I have got to a stage with scenic experiments (and photostacking) where I can present some progress.

The image here is just a short length of rockface and adjacent track.  None of it's finished, but it is getting there.  It's been something of a challenge to represent the flora of the place.  Now i'm bedding my methods down progress should be a bit faster.

Lawrence
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Design-HSB

The result is more than satisfactory. With which software did you do the photostacking and is there actually a freeware for it?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

If the scenery still is unfinished, please be sure to post again when it is complete! -- russ

Hauk

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on November 14, 2021, 08:48:59 PM
Despite the lack of updates various things have been progressing on the layout - more development and technical than visual though.

However I have got to a stage with scenic experiments (and photostacking) where I can present some progress.

The image here is just a short length of rockface and adjacent track.  None of it's finished, but it is getting there.  It's been something of a challenge to represent the flora of the place.  Now i'm bedding my methods down progress should be a bit faster.

Lawrence

I´m with Russ. If this is unfinished business, I can not wait to see it when it is done.

Is there a pinion rack in the middle of the track, by the way?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Lawton Maner

Fantastic work on the scenery.  The clump of grasses hiding behind the bushes in the left fore ground looks, at first glance, like an oversized fox hiding in the weeds.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Design-HSB on November 14, 2021, 11:48:48 PM
The result is more than satisfactory. With which software did you do the photostacking and is there actually a freeware for it?

Thanks Helmut.  I used the free trial version of Affinity based on recommendation here.  Previously I'd use PS Elements with the Elements+ add-on. Affinity is better, waaaaay faster and reasonably priced.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Hauk on November 15, 2021, 03:06:26 AM

I´m with Russ. If this is unfinished business, I can not wait to see it when it is done.

Is there a pinion rack in the middle of the track, by the way?

Cheers Hauk.

The centre rail is on the Fell patent and is plain symmetrical rail.  On this line it was used solely for braking.  There were special vans with a gripper brake.  The locomotives were also fitted with a centre rail brake, but one of the old drivers told me they were never used other than as a holding brake when stationary. (He did use the loco brake one day, out of curiosity, resulting in a large bang and many yards of centre rail ripped up.  Something failed under the loco).  The Fell patent was used for ascending elsewhere - there were gripper wheels that clamped the side of the rail.

There's a blog post on my journey to model the centre rail here: https://nzfinescale.com/more-fell-deeds/
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bill Gill

Good looking rock face. I especially like the ferns, what are they?

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Bill Gill on November 15, 2021, 10:13:54 AM
Good looking rock face. I especially like the ferns, what are they?

Like many here I like to hoe my own row, so almost all of the things on the layout are scratchbuilt or from my own products.  As I make the products they reflect my interests so are dead right for the layout. 

The ferns are etched in 0.1mm brass.  Sprayed up and coloured in the flat.  I've found that 3-4 fronds make a reasonable looking plant.  While real ferns generally have far more this works quite well in practice.  I curve the fronds with fingers and set the bases into a dob of gem adhesive set on some non-stick sheet (used label backing).  Finish with a sprinkle of short staple dark brown static fibre (representing the very hairy bases of these plants). Gem adhesive is a viscous, high build acrylic (I think) that remains a bit tacky and rubbery.  This keeps the fronds as placed and they don't fall over (much). I do a sheet of plants, and then peel and stick.  Generally they tack themselves in place and I reinforce with white glue.

Quite a few of the plants in this view are brass actually.

https://nzfinescale.com/emporium/finescale-foliage/ferns/

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

That seems to work so well I think I'll replace the living plants in my backyard with etched brass. And they don't need water, a boon in our drought stricken state. -- ssuR

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on November 15, 2021, 11:40:43 AM
That seems to work so well I think I'll replace the living plants in my backyard with etched brass. And they don't need water, a boon in our drought stricken state. -- ssuR

If you let me supply I'll be able to retire!
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bill Gill

Lawrence, it didn't occur to me that the ferns are etched brass. Very nice! Imodel in HO scale and had unsuccessfully looked into the possibility of laser cutting both ferns and sumac fronds from origami or cigarette paper. Thanks, you have renewed my interest in new possibilities.

WP Rayner

Beautiful work Lawence... the rock face is excellent, very convincing and a good balance of foliage. Nothing fanciful about this at all... well done.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.