• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Morning all.
Moving on with the lego idea here you can see how I make little bits separately just like my kits of the past this time the back fence plus the incinerator a what, When I grew up a lot of rubbish was burnt of course there was very little single-use plastics then. The incinerator was an urban legend and was guilty of starting many neighbour wars my father was a real bastard when it came to the burn. This little 1/35 model is made from paper.
cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Thank Ray
Moving on looking at these pictures I am not really happy with the back wooden fence I like the effect but I feel it would be better to be the same style of the metal post-star post fence an easy change. Talking of fences here is the start to the front fence a double-sided face hand-laid with decorative concrete blocks inserts one on either side of the front gate fun times .I have chopped and changed a lot but now Sandy Hollow is 750 mm long by 350 mm wide foot 6 inches by 1 foot 2 inches.
cheers

finescalerr

As usual, each revision is an improvement. -- Russ

Barney

Looks Great and a great way to achieve models small "jig saw" type of projects - its the only way I seem to get things done
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

A great idea on finding out just what works best when you are building your dioramas.  Plus if something doesn't work well with one then set it aside for the next.  I feel the brick wall is a bit pretentious for the shack you are working on right now, so save it for something else.  The fence with the mower could stand by itself with no apology! 

Ray Dunakin

I love that brick fence!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Kim, I admire your iterative approach to model making.

Bernhard

Design-HSB

Kim, rear plots are rather spartan. In my opinion, such a wall would fit closer to the border of the Road.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Hi all.
Bits and bits sometimes I wonder but really not for long.
Helmut and Lawton after looking at the brick wall in the position I have decided to not use it good call you 2 into the maybe box.
Bernard and Barney cheers.
and Ray these hand-laid walls require a bit of finishing the uneven surfaces have to be sanded and mortored in this case it has 2 faces showing usually I do it with a card backing that stayes on. So the trick is to lay the bricks on a surface that will not be affected by the white glue. I use a styrene backing marked out in the shape and when the white glue goes off a bit I carefully peel the wall off yes it works.
And lastly, I mentioned that I was not happy with the back wooden fence this version I am happy with a simple metal post version so you can still get a good view.
cheers.

finescalerr

I'm happy with it, too. It suits the structure and the property and allows a good view of your modeling. Third try is the charm. -- Russ

shitao

Hello Kim

I unfortunaltely do seldom comment your work. But I can assure you, that I am always following your progress.
What I really like, is the use of cheap matarial that turns into something special under your hands.
I really appreciate it! Gives me a lot of inspirations to copy...
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

1-32

Hi Shito.
This is one of the beauties of this forum a lot of clever hands making stuff thank you for your interest.

Lawton Maner

Your next challenge is to build a clothes drying spinner for the wash.  With your talent a simple clothes line won't be a challenge, although you can build it on a narrow strip of baseboard which will fit between the shack and the fence.
     Again I feel the fence with the lawnmower is a stand alone diorama all by itself.

1-32

Hi Lawton.
Funny a very good friend just made the same comment, she is always right. If I went down that path it would have to be wind-powered clothes driers would never do in this era. Usually, this style of house has 2 power points max they would have been retrofitted with the black cable surface mounted with exposed junction boxes.
cheers