• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Hi Narayan,

your streetwork, esp. the tarmac, is very nice too. I planned to tar parts of my cobblestone; maybe I'll try it the way you did: But what is Elmer's Glue?

The parts are not regularly for sale. Yet. But I made some more than necessary. So: What cover(s) do you need?
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

nk

Thanks so much. I apprecdiate it. Elmer's white glue is a PVA emulsion glue, the same as Aquadhere in Australia, Vinavil in Italy, Evo-stik Evo-Bond PVA in the UK. It starts off as a milky white liquid that is watersoluble, and as it dries the emulsion micelles join to make a clear water insoluble film.

I particularly like the waffle pattern piece and the manhole cover with the K in the centre. Perhaps we could work out a trade and I could send you a couple of these if you ever want to make a diorama based in the North East of the US.

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

marc_reusser

Elmer's Glue, ist ein Weisleim, der klaar trocknet. .....Ich glaube ihr nennt es "Ponal"....oder es gibt viellecht von UHU sowas.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hydrostat

Thanks, Marc! I thought of this but wasn't sure ... In Germany it's called Weißleim. Ponal is the most popular brand.

Narayan, I don't plan such a diorama, but we will surely agree on a deal. More via pm, okay?

A lot of usual German buildings were equipped with air-raid shelters in WWII. Sometimes existing cellars in massive buildings were simply stregthened with splinter shields at the cellar windows and entrances and an emergency exit was added. Here is an example from the city of Mainz. These ones must have been installed at the later wartime, because the hatches seem to be raw metal plates. Maybe the original parts weren't available anymore. Please note the bullet holes.

I used a scale drawing on 2 mm (0.07874'') cardboard, then cut it with a blade to shape, drenched it with super glue and then filed it. The hinges are made of 0.5 mm (0.019685'') polystyrene strips and 1.5 mm (0.059055'') tubing (thanks to the dealer that it wasn't visible in the store that it is NOT a PS and would not stick with the usual suspects  >:(), some wire and glue.

And that's what it looks like installed. I will later on add some plaster to the rear frame, which sticks in the wall, not in front of it.

I won't show bullet holes; otherwise the rest of the building would not be in this state in 1950/60.

The buildings had special signs to indicate the shelter position and entrance. Some of the signs were made using patterns, some partly free hand (or both) applied with fluorescent white color. These labels and arrows are visible to date on many buildings, that haven't been renovated since WWII. It's no surprise that the label was regulated by decree? Not to me. "NA" means emergency exit (NOTAUSGANG), "LSR" bomb shelter (LUFTSCHUTZRAUM).

First, I printed the required character with the appropriate font type and size for prototype photos which I found on google (and therefore cannot be shown here?) on photo paper. Since the letters were large enough and the prototype photos often show unclean captions (translation from Google: "dirty magazines"  :P), I could then cut out as needed with various fine cutter blades.

I made the resulting template a bit durable with superglue and placed it at the desired location.

Then I used a soft lustreless dull bristle brush and dabbed opaque white into the template. It may only be applied to the bristle tips easily with almost dry paint.

So it looks like this:

The arrow is still missing? There it is.

Best wishes
Volker

michael mott

Hello Volker I have just finished going through your thread. Stunning! it is unfortunate that I had not seen this thread before I scribbled all over my model, or I would not have bothered. because now I have to start all over.

Michael

Hydrostat

Searching a wall for my factory I stumbled over this one:

Oh dear ::)!

Best wishes
Volker

Hydrostat

I forgot - no cheating.

Well, I needed something to fix the railway gate to.

The wall is attached to the gatehouse. The niche is the space for the downspout.

Best wishes

Volker

finescalerr

michael mott

Volker, it looks like you are getting the hang of this model-making caper! ;D

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Thanks Russ, Michael and Ray for your comments. I really wasn't sure if it was looking realistic enough for your inexorable eyes  ;). Meanwhile I combined the parts. As you can see the gate's colour at the gatehouse changed to the same grey as the other gates. Helmut suggested that to me and I think he was right. This is the street side view.

... and this the factory side view.

I'm not too happy with the bordered blotches at the gate post (and at parts of the gate) - at least I know what I've done wrong. Although it's a water based colour it's not possible to remove it without damage to the rest of the weathering. Does it look believable nonetheless?

The walls and gates are fixed to the ground. I don't know yet what to do with the buildings, at least with the big one. It would be nice to have them removable for transportation issues but I'm afraid one will always see that it is removable and this is going to destroy illusion. Do you have any advice for me?

Best wishes
Volker

artizen

If the finished diorama fits the back seat of your car you can leave the larger building in place? It would look good with an interior.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

If you find some of the finish too "blotchy", maybe you could use an airbrush or some weathering powders (or both) to blend things together. It's certainly not too late. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I just so thoroughly enjoy watching and seeing every step and bit of progress on this project. The attention and reproduction of simple every day details, that are often so easily overlooked, yet absolutely make the scene, is wonderful, and inspiring. It is something that really requires one to see their surroundings...and you have a real knack for it. I really do get a huge smile whenever I see a new post. It is truly inspiring to me.  Thank you for continuing to post your progress.

I know it is not yet done, but I agree with Russ that that it could at some point benefit from soe sort of "unifying" finish...and that doesn't mean a wash over everything...but for example similar shades of dust or grime across/on a number of the horizontal surfaces and details where it would build up, or when the sidewalks are done....bits of breen (grass/weeds/moss/lichen) in nooks, cracks and crannies....maybe even sim. varied tones of dirt or grime splatter along the bottom of walls where the rain has caused it to build up...even things like leaves and dirt in areas in the roof gutter and then some along the walls or gutter.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Wow!  More-n-more depth to the scene each time ... new "major" elements and new nutty little details!  ;D  Sure is shaping up nicely, and as Marc said quite a pleasure to watch the progress along the way.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com