• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Manufacture wing nuts M0.6 yourself.

Started by Design-HSB, February 15, 2022, 09:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

Hello

Wing nuts on models always look good, only I am not aware of any source of supply.
Surely you can print them in 3D, only if they should then also be functional with thread, I know no offer.

That's why I made these many years ago in a very small quantity for the swivel chairs.

At that time, M 0.6 wing nuts were adjustable for the swivel chairs for the backrests.

I was personally approached by a BBF member to explain the production.

This photo shows the production of the wing nuts on my CNC engraving machine from below.

First, I used a 0.5 mm drill to insert the hole for the thread into a 2 mm thick brass flat bar.
Then with such an engraving stitch, as it can be seen on the far right, all material was removed, so that only the lower slope of the wings of the wing nut was preserved.
In the next step, I milled it 1.6 mm deep with a 1 mm cutter, the outer contour of the wing nut in the lower view.
Since I use 2 mm flat bar material and have arranged my wing nuts symmetrically, I can simply turn them over and process them further from the top, so to speak.
The wing nuts now hang on their wing tips on remaining 0.4 mm flat bar material.
All that is missing now is the space between the wings and I simply drill down from the thread with a 1 mm cutter 1 mm deep from above on the axis.

Practically, I now only need to mill away the 0.4 mm material at the point where the wing nut sits.
Unfortunately, this only works in theory really repeatable, because after a few milling cutters the cutter unfortunately breaks off.
Why can't I say unfortunately, I only have the assumption that the now loose wing nut somehow misunderstands and the cutter breaks as a result. I removed the material in advance with a 2 mm milling cutter to the remaining 0.1 mm.

I still had the best result with 1 mm milling cutters.
A 0.5 mm milling cutter broke even before the wing nut was separated.
With a 2 mm, nothing remains from the wing nut, only the cutter remained intact.

Here are now some, still raw separated wing nuts to see.

Cutting the M0.6 threads is very easy with a very good thread cutter.
I simply hold the wing nut between my thumb and index finger and the tap in a very light plastic holder. With a lot of feeling I can now cut the threads without even expecting a breakage of the drill.

Now I take a small holder from which not quite 1 mm an M0.6 thread protrudes and can hold the wing nut on it.
Then the wings are rounded with such a hollow milling cutter by hand.
To do this, I only need to turn the hollow cutter a few times with low pressure between thumb and index finger
Finally, I remove minimal burr residues with a small rotating wire brush.
This whole process takes less than 2 minutes.

Here you can see some of the finished M0.6 wing nuts.

For size comparison, the wing nuts completed so far on a 1 cent coin.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on February 15, 2022, 09:34:02 AM
Hello

Wing nuts on models always look good, only I am not aware of any source of supply.
Surely you can print them in 3D, only if they should then also be functional with thread, I know no offer.

Spitzenklasse!

Where do you buy your thread cutters, by the way? I have trouble finding quality cutters in the smaller sizes.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Design-HSB

Hello

First of all, thank you for the recognition to everyone.

Quote from: Hauk on February 16, 2022, 02:51:27 AM
Where do you buy your thread cutters, by the way? I have trouble finding quality cutters in the smaller sizes.

Hauk ,
the need for goldsmiths is a good address for this.
https://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/product_info.php?products_id=20025

There are also solid carbide taps for CNC machining, only in manual operation the simple steel do not break off so easily.
https://www.brw.ch/en/solid-carbide-taps-dc-cms-nano-264715
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

It continues with the wing nuts.

Wing nut M0.6 mounted on wire to make it manageable for blasting.

Wing nut M0.6 blasted so that the last small burrs and milling marks are eliminated.

Wing nut M0,6 burnished.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow! Is there anything you can't make?!   
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hi Ray, I love a challenge, so it has a special appeal.  But there are also things I can't do because I don't have the tools or machines for them.  So I don't currently have a working lathe.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Bernd, both form and function in your wing nuts, amazing at that size.

Daniel