• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Scrap yard in 1/16th scale

Started by Barney, January 24, 2019, 09:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Barney, this is just great, inspirational stuff. I was thinks of making a winch and boiler too (16mm scale - 1/19th), so now I know how to do it!   Recognise the winch location (Black Country Museum - a wonderful place for modelling ideas).   
Les

Barney

Ray I use an enamel based paint in this case I have used Humbrol Tank grey /dark grey - is it important to remove the slimy effect of these nylon gears by giving them a good washing in warm water and washing  up liquid . and if possible when dry give them a quick rub with 400 grit paper it gives them a bit of a key - the same goes for glueing it also helps to score the flat surfaces with a knife to give it extra grip
photo shows a quick under coat of humbrol of the parts I can to get to for spraying the whole thing all parts still a trial fit (a few edges to clean up )
The Enamel paint does stick well - top coat can be an acrylic colour if preferred  But I have found the acrylic based paint pretty useless for under coating these slimy nylon surfaces
I have also used car paint cellulose with success on nylon but it does get up your nose a bit and gives you one hell of a headache
Barney 

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Barney, thanks for the info on painting nylon.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

My favorite prep for plastics is a Dawn Dish Detergent.  While on a tour of a railcar manufacturer in the summer of 1980, our tour guide informed us that the factory used it as a de-greasing agent for many machined parts prior to painting and assembly because as a consumer product it could be simply sent down the drains without treatment.  The stuff arrived in55 gallon drums.  They did however, pass all of the cleaning waste water through an oil separator to remove any oily residue.  Try a bit of it with very hot water in a power washer at the end of the winter to clean the undercarriage of your car and rust and grime will be limited to your model shop.

Barney

When you have made the one with the most holes and rivets along comes a simple version
boat yard scene from Les

Barney

Rust inspiration
Barney

Barney

and a bit more

Barney

The first bits ready for the yard - well nearly - The petrol pump and the winch - bits to touch up and a few more weeds all the parts will be on small bases which will then be fitted to the main diorama 

Barney

Barney

the winch

Hydrostat

This petrol pump looks fantastic  :o! Maybe those rotten sheets might benefit from some more rusty look all over, it looks a bit like it has been painted after it had rottened away.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

The pump looks fantastic. I agree that the rusted out panels need to have more rust around the holes.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That is some of your best work. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Even a Scrapyard can get wonderful under your Hands.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal