• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making a K27

Started by John McGuyer, February 01, 2008, 07:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Here is an underside shot of the front coupler where you can see the Bachmann draft gear and AMS coupler. This also gives a better view of the brass plow.

John McGuyer

The sound system has reed switch triggers for magnets in the track to activate the bell and whistle.

John McGuyer

A side view of the same mount.

John McGuyer

The crew is pretty sloppy and left tools laying about the tender.

John McGuyer

This platform is something I learned from Marc. It was first painted with Vallejo metal paint, then a layer of Floquil engine black over it. It was lightly sanded to look worn through.

John McGuyer

With all that bad mountain weather, the crew need some curtains for protection. This is a white handkerchief soaked in very thin paint. You can also now see the real wood floor.

John McGuyer

A side view of the same curtains. They are actually hung on tiny rings and can slide on a rail around the cab.

John McGuyer

Most sound people do not recommend Bachmann's optical switch and opt for Phoenix reed switch. This mount can move in a number of directions to adjust the location of the switch to the magnets.

John McGuyer

The chuff trigger magnets are in a brass ring around the axle. Pockets are indexed and milled in the ring and the magnets snap in. The ring is then CA'd to the axle.

John McGuyer

It's time to go to the track and run this thing. Here it is crossing the Santa Fe bridge on Bob Uniack's layout. This shot is not staged, the engine is actually running.

finescalerr

Inspirational work, Nephew John! Your ability to fashion beautiful assemblies from raw metal continues to astound me.

Russ

John McGuyer

!cnU
It's a shame you couldn't join us at Bob's. It was a great day. This coming weekend is the Fullerton show and we'll run this thing there.
John

Jerry Barnes

John, 
  Just discovered this thread, neat work!

John McGuyer

Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy it as I know you like to build. You'll find this is a serious group of very talented modelers and you can learn a great deal from them. School is in session.

John

k27rgs

Beautiful work...   incredible detailed finishes...

MArio